Mayo Warns It Won't Take Most Medicare Advantage Plans

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania
https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-reports/exclusives/101320

Letters to Florida, Arizona patients suggest they enroll in original Medicare with a supplement.

Medicare Advantage plans have been under increasing scrutiny and investigation because so many of them have been accused by federal agencies of denying care, exaggerating the severity of illnesses to pull billions more from Medicare, and delaying care with lengthy prior authorization requirements.

They would take MAPD OON. My clients are telling me that they now don’t take any MAPD, period.

this article says “most”. Who do they take?

They would take MAPD OON. My clients are telling me that they now don’t take any MAPD, period.

this article says “most”. Who do they take?

I believe all Mayo campuses as of 1/1/23 will not accept any MA OON.The strange thing is Mayo clinic in Rochester sent out a letter to patients in feb 2022 saying they will not accept any MA OON starting 4/1/22 and then in June announced they are contracted for the first time with a MA plan (UHC) starting 1/1/23.This is just for the Rochester location but IMHO if this contract turns out to be mutually beneficial to UHC and mayo it could be extended to the other locations.

I have spoke with a few clients on MA using Mayo in Fl. and they said that they have spoke to mayo and they may grant exceptions to established patients especially the ones with complicated diagnosis..

[EXTERNAL LINK] - Mayo stops scheduling out-of-network Medicare Advantage patients in Minnesota

[EXTERNAL LINK] - UnitedHealthcare, Mayo Clinic reach network agreement for Medicare Advantage patients

My SIL's father has a Cigna MAPD. He had a liver transplant at Mayo in Jacksonville about 2 years ago. They just cancelled his appointment because of his insurance and he has several issues that need to be seen about. I wonder if he had original Medicare instead of a MAPD would they have contacted him?

Back