Medicaid Limits

What would happen if a person was at 133 FPL in 2013 signs up for 1-1-14 at the end of 14 he fell to just 89 FPL in a non Medicaid expansion state.

Ok now he married in march of 14 and divorced in December of 14 his wife during that time made $98000 they didn't have kids. The wife was covered at work.

Should the the guy just report to jail??

This survey is from Michigan, but could it be a national sentiment? Medicaid patients are more satisfied with their health insurance coverage than Private Insurance patients. Fodder for the Nationalized Healthcare crowd I suppose.

"The survey, which polled 1,018 insured adults, was conducted with the Institute for Public Policy and Social Research at Michigan State University. Respondents were asked to rate their satisfaction and experience with their health insurance, based on whether they had Medicaid, Medicare, employer-sponsored or individually purchased coverage.

For example, those people with individually purchased insurance had more negative experiences, 61 percent, than those with other types of insurance.

Negative experiences included services that were not covered by benefits and people having to pay out-of-pocket for services that cost above what their insurance would pay.

On the other hand, Medicaid recipients were the least likely, 41 percent, to report a negative experience with their coverage."

Source: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...s-in-michigan-more-satisfied-than-those-with#
-ac

I call Bullsheet poll !! I wonder what the responses would be if you asked them:

If you actually had to pay a small portion of your medicaid premium (vs someone else paying for the whole enchilada), would you still like it?

If you had higher copays, and actually had a deductible, would you still like it.

Medicaid recipients were most concerned about losing their coverage probably due to the fact they would have to start PAYING for their own coverage. Medicaid is not just sick people.

Where's the questions about network adequacy, wait times, quality of doctors, etc?

-------------------------------
Individually insured respondents were the least concerned about losing their coverage.
On the other hand, Medicaid recipients were the least likely, 41 percent, to report a negative experience with their coverage.
However, Medicaid recipients were the most concerned about losing their coverage.
“These results tell us that those with Medicaid coverage greatly appreciate it. They tend to have higher health needs, and so their coverage is valuable to them,” said Udow-Phillips.

Satisfaction is very hard to measure, and people tend to demand far more from a paid-for service than they do for something free.

I.E. I'm happy with a free warm beer, but annoyed when I buy one that's anything besides frosty.

This is just a measure of how many times a person "perceived" a negative experience.

I can think of a thousand scenarios I've heard from clients where they thought they were entitled to something they were not, like visiting an out-of-network facility and expecting just a co-pay.

With a sample that small and geographically limited with no demographic breakdown, don't expect it to gain too much traction. The statistical reliability would be torn apart in seconds by anyone who can tell an "o" from a lower-case sigma.

Satisfaction is very hard to measure, and people tend to demand far more from a paid-for service than they do for something free.

I.E. I'm happy with a free warm beer, but annoyed when I buy one that's anything besides frosty.

Sorry, but you got that wrong. You sound like the exception, but people will complain about something that is free far faster than something for which they paid. It doesn't make sense, but it is reality.

Sorry, but you got that wrong. You sound like the exception, but people will complain about something that is free far faster than something for which they paid. It doesn't make sense, but it is reality.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

I think it's that those people just don't know better, and have no idea what type of care is possible. They don't understand that waiting 2-3 hours to see a doctor isn't normal.

This survey is from Michigan, but could it be a national sentiment? Medicaid patients are more satisfied with their health insurance coverage than Private Insurance patients. Fodder for the Nationalized Healthcare crowd I suppose.

"The survey, which polled 1,018 insured adults, was conducted with the Institute for Public Policy and Social Research at Michigan State University. Respondents were asked to rate their satisfaction and experience with their health insurance, based on whether they had Medicaid, Medicare, employer-sponsored or individually purchased coverage.

For example, those people with individually purchased insurance had more negative experiences, 61 percent, than those with other types of insurance.

Negative experiences included services that were not covered by benefits and people having to pay out-of-pocket for services that cost above what their insurance would pay.

On the other hand, Medicaid recipients were the least likely, 41 percent, to report a negative experience with their coverage."

Source: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...s-in-michigan-more-satisfied-than-those-with#
-ac

Okay, let's first consider the source: Michigan. One of the hardest hit states in 2008 and though I don't have the stats, I am going to assume there is a high percentage of people currently on Medicaid (free everything) that lost their individual/group health coverage in the crash when they went into unemployment. When comparing their current free coverage, don't need to work lifestyle, to their had-to-work, had-to-pay life before, of course they are happy.

When I see people make claims that seniors are happier with Medicare than those of us that work and pay for individual plans, what is forgotten is that those on Medicare that are happy with it likely have an individual plan paying for everything that Medicare doesn't. If I could pay a couple hundred bucks per month and get to use as much healthcare as I wanted without additional expense, I'd be happy with my coverage too! But it isn't Medicare they are happy with, it's the supplement. These surveys are crap propaganda. I can't see where this one bases their claim "And those who will buy their insurance on the individual exchange may see improved choices and coverage with the new qualified plans." Crap I tell you, CRAP!!!

Last edited:
Back