Medicare Advantage plans earn high marks from policyholders

Insurance Forums Staff

Guru
Sponsor
Insurance Forums Staff submitted a new article

Medicare Advantage plans earn high marks from policyholders
bigstock-A-Doctor-Shows-A-Tablet-Medica-372698077.jpg

New eHealth survey finds 88% of enrollees are satisfied with their coverage.
Continue reading the Original Article.

How can this be? I thought all clients hated their MA plans due to Dr. networks, prior authorization and all the other terrible things. Maybe it's just certain agents that make it seem that way?

When my MIL T65 I talked with her about med supp, But she purchases MA plan

She loved it free this, free that, no premium, It was just the best

then a couple years later both her and husb got Cancer, he ended up passing,

after the issues and costs through this experience, she understood

When she moved here, we go GI for med supp

She would never do MA again, and she is now a person who would never even entertain the thought of MA

Last edited:
When my MIL T65 I talked with her about med supp, But she purchases MA plan

She loved it free this free that no premium, It was just the best

then a couple years later both her and husb got Cancer, he ended up passing,

after the issues and costs through this experience, she understood

When she moved her we go GI for med supp

She would never do MA again, and she is now a person who would never even entertain the thought of MA

There is one of those aforementioned agents now.

? I dont understand what you mean?

MIL and husb?

He died she is on dialysis now,

No not agents if that what you meant

though wouldnt make sense you asked that so I am guessing you meant something else?

When my MIL T65 I talked with her about med supp, But she purchases MA planE
She loved it free this free that no premium, It was just the best

then a couple years later both her and husb got Cancer

this is why cancer plans are so good to offer.

And exactly a main reason people complain about MAPD.

I stayed out of this market for years bc of all the wildness--wasn't interested in AHIP, certs, low commish. My main guy who has large book of MAPD. He used to try to get me into Medicare for years. All the way from mid-late 2000s.

He was a total plan G guy. Not anymore. I wish I would have listened to him way back when....he's well over 350k annually. Sells primarily MAPD with GTL. $4000 a month renewals just in GTL. So it's clear he's covering some bases. I've seen his statements. Not bragging for him and he never brags, we are friends and he shows me. I spend quite a bit of time with him just bc we worked together in U65 for years and live and play by each other in two states.

Saw his wallet the other night and double-checked when he whipped it out at an event, we were in line for food....thought maybe he fibbed about what he has himself. He has HAP MAPD. It was sticking out of his wallet. LOL. So do all the other guys/gals I know who used to be ALL about Plan G. They also all have GTL to cover the cancer and some of the major co-pays.

He swore he'd never sell MAPD back then.

I read the back and forths on the MAPDs/med supps in here. Being new, and honestly because I was already skeptical, its interesting to me to know both sides inside and out.

IRL I do ask a ton of questions. Even to anyone I know who has an MAPD. None are really complaining and when they do it's been more about the crappy dental (yes I detest dental and I'm not afraid to tell clients it sucks but itll give you "some" coverage).

In the guy I referenced above, he claims very few people actually hit the MOOP, often docs eat the co-pays (he doesn't pitch that but says he knows from experience, and as new as I am I've seen this too), and when they do hit it, they usually have GTL to back it up and help fill the gaps.

My own hubs is turning 65 Dec 2023, and to be honest, we have $ and either one would be fine. But I'm still not 100% what I should do with him. The more I read, the more confused I get. lol. Most days though, I'm leaning toward HAP/GTL. HAP is a nice MAPD (lower MOOP-Lower co-pays with Delta dental in MI). It also travels nice to places we go. hubs is very used to deductibles and ancillaries as are many business owners around here.

Another observation is that I do see things with HMOs, in-network, out-of-network, referrals, authorizations getting much better....not near as bad as those things used to be...I also see a movement toward lower MOOP. Not all over yet, but it's expanding. Even in Mi, we do have the lower MOOPs, just not on the west side as far as I know...although even over there theres a $4500 Moop plan, HMO though which after reading all the fine print isn't near as bad as i would have thought.

For good measure though, I've been getting up to speed on Med Supps...I dont wanna have to refer those out....this being new is still a learning thing every day.

Not looking to get caught up here in a big debate, just saying from my own perspective. I have too many thoughts on the political side to even get started and no one would want to get me started on that...just like alcohol, I'm allergic to politics and break out in handcuffs. Yes, I admit that. And both those things together are really really bad. LOL.

How can this be? I thought all clients hated their MA plans due to Dr. networks, prior authorization and all the other terrible things. Maybe it's just certain agents that make it seem that way?
Maybe because Ehealth chose the areas, demographics,etc. If Ehealth didn't sell MAPD and had commissioned the survey it might be credible.

Vic shared a real life personal experience. Hard to refute that. He also sells both MAPD and Med Supp so he isn't "one of those agents". It's ok to speak of the problems with any product we sell. I hope anyone who sells MAPD (I do) shares the few potential drawbacks with their clients. If you aren't, you are doing a disservice to the client.

Those happiest with their MAPD plans are the ones who don't need much medical care. it's a win for them and a win for the insurance company. But ask anyone who is having delays because of pre-authorization or anyone who has been in and out of the hospital, going through chemo or dialysis and they will tell you they wish they had a Med Supp instead.

Back