Medicare and Employer has less than 20 employees

In my area, the Northeast, it will depend on the active group insurer whether an employee will have to go onto Medicare with an under 20 employee group. BCBS of Massachusetts will administer assuming Medicare coverage whether it’s in force or not, BCBS of RI will continue to cover employees in full even if the over 65 employee hasn’t yet enrolled into
Medicare.

Caveat, NOT an agent.

There are two possible issues I see for an employee there.

In today's health insurance environment, I think it would be dangerous for an employee to assume that just because a carrier is covering a small group in full today, they will continue to do so in the future.

In today's health insurance environment with the costs of both medical care and health insurance, it could be dangerous for employees to assume that their employer will continue with the same health insurance carrier for new coverage years.

Caveat, NOT an agent.

Also, it might be possible that Social Security could enter into consideration as well.

I have needed to understand some considerations about taking early Social Security.

If I correctly understand what I have read, if a working person with an HSA starts their Social Security prior to age 65, they will be unable to contribute to the HSA past turning 65.

Latest posts

Back