Medicare downline / overrides

sshafran

Guru
1000 Post Club
NC
I don't actively recruit.

Have had a few people interested in starting recently.

Dumb question but can a downline be at "street" for MAPD (ie same level as me) so that I get $0 in override but they make full comp, until I can reach the 5 required agents for the upper contract?

Then once I reach that I move up, they stay @ street, and I get the override?

Or do you have to be at different levels? Seems strange to require 5 downline - not sure how to get 5 all at once.

I don't actively recruit.

Have had a few people interested in starting recently.

Dumb question but can a downline be at "street" for MAPD (ie same level as me) so that I get $0 in override but they make full comp, until I can reach the 5 required agents for the upper contract?

Then once I reach that I move up, they stay @ street, and I get the override?

Or do you have to be at different levels? Seems strange to require 5 downline - not sure how to get 5 all at once.

The having to have 5 agents is BS to override . I’ve had offers at $50-$75 on my own business with zero agents . Also with CO’s like Humana and anthem they pay the fmo only in most cases . They fmo pays you so you work out the override. Ifg seems to be paying the agency’s overrides directly .

The having to have 5 agents is BS to override . I’ve had offers at $50-$75 on my own business with zero agents . Also with CO’s like Humana and anthem they pay the fmo only in most cases . They fmo pays you so you work out the override. Ifg seems to be paying the agency’s overrides directly .

Over rides are complicated. Some companies like UHC do actually require 5 people under you to get an over ride and its a hard line. IFG and places like that will LOA you the over ride, but...how much faith do you want to place in IFG to do the right thing once you get over 5 people?

Some companies do actually require 2 agents under you to move up a level. Some, like Humana and Anthem, require the over ride to be done as an LOA because they won't recognize a hierarchy until you have over 100 agents. Its a weird world and who you have contracts with will change what is possible.

To answer the OPs question, I don't know of anyone who will let you have a $0 override. You either have to go up, of they have to go LOA to you.

UHC "says" they require 5 agents but having just one will get you the GA contract at least for a year.

Our Humana would pay you the overrides directly, but Anthem makes you be LOA. Every other company we have for MA will pay you direct.

UHC "says" they require 5 agents but having just one will get you the GA contract at least for a year.

Our Humana would pay you the overrides directly, but Anthem makes you be LOA. Every other company we have for MA will pay you direct.
Good to know on UHC. I've never been in a place where I needed a year to get 5 agents together (I had more than 5 when I got going and no one in my downline currently is trying to build a team) , but I may someday.

The Humana thing is all kinds of weird honestly.

Anthem and Humana are the only large carriers I know that do that, but a bunch of regionals do too. Independence Blue Cross in Philadelphia, for example. It's annoying, but not the end of the world.

Good to know on UHC. I've never been in a place where I needed a year to get 5 agents together (I had more than 5 when I got going and no one in my downline currently is trying to build a team) , but I may someday.

The Humana thing is all kinds of weird honestly.

Anthem and Humana are the only large carriers I know that do that, but a bunch of regionals do too. Independence Blue Cross in Philadelphia, for example. It's annoying, but not the end of the world.

My friends also loa with Humana . Some fmo’s allow you to be paid direct .Anthem will only pay the fmo . United pays less overrides on csnp . Just like you can see you agents book of business your fmo see all yours and agents . You better trust him

This discussion reminds me of the first time I moved to a new state.

I asked my co workers what area had the best schools, who where the best Dentist and Doctors invariably they would always give me the same answers. 100% it was where their kids went to school, their Dentist, their own Dr.

What I would tell you is this if you already know how to get clients and do not need traning work with someone that you trust ... look for online reviews of the organization...don't move based on a verbal promise..get your deal upfront...

This discussion reminds me of the first time I moved to a new state.

I asked my co workers what area had the best schools, who where the best Dentist and Doctors invariably they would always give me the same answers. 100% it was where their kids went to school, their Dentist, their own Dr.

What I would tell you is this if you already know how to get clients and do not need traning work with someone that you trust ... look for online reviews of the organization...don't move based on a verbal promise..get your deal upfront...
:laugh:
This post reminds me of the consistent criticism I receive for not reading comments carefully enough. Did you even bother to read OP's post CAREFULLY?

From seeing your posts over a period of time, I suspect you have knowledge and experience that would allow you to comment directly to OP's question in a useful manner, but his question is not about changing FMO's.

Last edited:
Production/Volume will trump the “5 agents” rule

Latest posts

Back