Medicare FMO recommendation in Florida or UHC Captive?

well...this is like the fox in the chicken coop! so todd you are IMO now...moving up in the world i see? good for ya!

F L O R I D A ...Captive" I know Agents at Humana (captive-non field, inside sales) including benefits; medical, dental, vision, their great 401k!, paid vacation, and not to mention they don't have to travel anywhere, not including bonuses= $120K Humana hires from within first and sends their selected few to get licenses.

"independent" Agents at FMO's the correct abbreviation should be PP-FMO Paper pusher! FMO. they will call/email you once every 3 months or During AEP offer you to stand at a booth at a PUBLIX (UHC), WALGREENS, WALMART(HUMANA) and you may get 1 sale. people i have met that made $ as an independent -without- some old geezer handing over their book of business to a family members or someone they indoctrinate! is someone very well connected, and that takes money! because these people have invested a great deal of money in a Lead Management System CRM and they go onto hire agents at $15 an hour with no benefits! every AEP you will see them advertise on indeed-
There are many avenues you can take as an independent, which do not guarantee a good steady flow of income, that will come with time. The best question to ask yourself would be what is your comfort level and that of your family-
when i started my career in this business as an independent my kids were grown, and i had a year's worth of income in savings. I didn't want to live la vida loca'.

"Best of luck to you.

Thank you for your answers so far.

So does anybody have any knowledge of being captive with UHC and if it might be a good thing to remain that way in Florida?

Do any of you know anything about Golden Outlook or Jack Schroeder?

Todd, are you active in Central West Florida in regards to Medicare Advantage, Supps, and PDP? Do you have a contract with Baycare? (new MA plan this year for Tampa Bay)

My agency uses JSA (Jack Schroeder and Associates) for about 70% of the insurance companies we contract with here in Illinois. We haven't had any problems with them at all. Everyone is extremely responsive, and it appears everyone is held to an extremely high standard. I also would always recommend against being captive (in most cases). If you should go captive, make sure anyone you bring to them are actually legally YOUR clients. Otherwise, if you should ever leave them, you start over at square #1.

Last edited:
well...this is like the fox in the chicken coop! so todd you are IMO now...moving up in the world i see? good for ya!

F L O R I D A ...Captive" I know Agents at Humana (captive-non field, inside sales) including benefits; medical, dental, vision, their great 401k!, paid vacation, and not to mention they don't have to travel anywhere, not including bonuses= $120K Humana hires from within first and sends their selected few to get licenses.

"independent" Agents at FMO's the correct abbreviation should be PP-FMO Paper pusher! FMO. they will call/email you once every 3 months or During AEP offer you to stand at a booth at a PUBLIX (UHC), WALGREENS, WALMART(HUMANA) and you may get 1 sale. people i have met that made $ as an independent -without- some old geezer handing over their book of business to a family members or someone they indoctrinate! is someone very well connected, and that takes money! because these people have invested a great deal of money in a Lead Management System CRM and they go onto hire agents at $15 an hour with no benefits! every AEP you will see them advertise on indeed-
There are many avenues you can take as an independent, which do not guarantee a good steady flow of income, that will come with time. The best question to ask yourself would be what is your comfort level and that of your family-
when i started my career in this business as an independent my kids were grown, and i had a year's worth of income in savings. I didn't want to live la vida loca'.

"Best of luck to you.

I’m not well connected and do well as an independent.
I’m very happy I didn’t limit myself to being a captive humana agent. But I won’t lie, those first few years would have been way better captive than the route I took.

Oh and a CRM is $25/month.

OK. you are in Polk, right? i remember when carriers service that area, with non commissioned plans. That area since has expanded because of the cheap real estate, I think what you meant to say is that you eventually did well as an independent.
(to my point)

I am also speaking of Costumer management volume that generates to supply an agency, When i speak of being independent, i mean truly independent. You have people working for you! (your network)

I like that you admit the hardship of the first 2 years. As far as limitations, i would not call Humana a limitation, I learned a LOT about compliance, through them. They really focus on that! Which if you are going to be independent, you MUST learn that- If you want to be in this business for a long time, and keep your book of business.!

OK. you are in Polk, right? i remember when carriers service that area, with non commissioned plans. That area since has expanded because of the cheap real estate, I think what you meant to say is that you eventually did well as an independent.
(to my point)

I am also speaking of Costumer management volume that generates to supply an agency, When i speak of being independent, i mean truly independent. You have people working for you! (your network)

I like that you admit the hardship of the first 2 years. As far as limitations, i would not call Humana a limitation, I learned a LOT about compliance, through them. They really focus on that! Which if you are going to be independent, you MUST learn that- If you want to be in this business for a long time, and keep your book of business.!

My first year I worked Volusia county. Second through 5th year I worked Polk and Orange County. 6th and 7th year I worked Duval County. Last three years I’ve worked Orange County only.

I eventually did well because I figured out my niche/marketing.
Marketing changed recently and now I found my new marketing plan. Always evolving

Jsa is legit. Online enrollment platform with myhealthplan, free t65 lists, great response time, and a trip to Rome or wherever, free csg tool, and more.

We've had our Aetna and UHC contract with the forever and as we've grown they have bumped us up levels or provided other support services we didn't need when we were smaller.

I started in Missouri only and have since expanded to 30 or so states and it's been nice to have an entity help with the pia that is licensing at an agency/agent level.

"Best of luck to you.

Yes, we have been in that category for about 10 years now. IMO/FMO.

Advocate Health Advisors is an amazing FMO that invests back in agents and provides amazing support for especially top producing agents, including ANOC/AEP mailers, year round book of business mailers, and also has a client care team with REAL people answering the phone to support top agents and their BOB to help agents sell more. As a top agent, 40% of my day was consumed with customer support calls and Advocate allowed me to sell more and engage my BOB more! [EXTERNAL LINK] - Advocate for Agents - Personalized Insurance Agent Support
upload_2023-2-3_0-25-42.jpeg

Advocate Health Advisors is an amazing FMO that invests back in agents and provides amazing support for especially top producing agents, including ANOC/AEP mailers, year round book of business mailers, and also has a client care team with REAL people answering the phone to support top agents and their BOB to help agents sell more. As a top agent, 40% of my day was consumed with customer support calls and Advocate allowed me to sell more and engage my BOB more! [EXTERNAL LINK] - Advocate for Agents - Personalized Insurance Agent Support

I'll give the forum 3 guesses who Jackie works for. Three posts and all pushing the same FMO. Yo Jackie, at least contribute something to the forum before you start spamming us with your FMO.

Back