Medicare Part B effective date 09/01 due to weird IEP rules, can he request a 05/01 date

- June - he is in the 1st month of his SEP
https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10012.pdf

actually, I believe the sep started in April for this person (because there is another criterion beyond the first full month when you are no longer in the plan), so June would be the third month of the sep. IEP trumps SEP for April enrollment.

From the document you quoted:

When will my SEP start?
If you sign up while you’re still in a group health
plan, during the first full month when you’re no
longer in the plan, or when the covered employee
stops working (whichever happens first), your
coverage will begin at either time below:
• On the first day of the month you enroll.
• On the first day of any of the following three
months of your choice

I would agree with that ONLY if he actually had 1 day of employer group coverage in the month of May.

I knew you wouldn't resist the urge to post. I knew you would try to spread your little doubt. No one cares whether you agree.

At this point it is academic, unless you have a procedure to get the Part B application revoked, because, based on what op said, he applied for Part B in April during his IEP.

No, it isn't academic. No need to revoke. Just do what I said: apply in June using SEP, request June 1, and watch the magic date change from July to June.

Or, don't try.

He can enroll on 6/1 (or anytime June) and request 6/1 effective date.
- His IEP ends 5/31
- June - he is in the 1st month of his SEP
- SEP - you can request coverage for current month.

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10012.pdf

The language is a bit obtuse (based on the "whichever happens first" statement), and a constitutional lawyer might make the case that it would need to be July, but a SS employee can push it through for June 1, from what I've been told.

Thats interesting . So using coming off group you can apply anytime that first month and your effective date backdated to the beginning of that month? Are there any other sep’s that if you sign up during the month the effective date is the beginning of the month?

No, it isn't academic. No need to revoke. Just do what I said: apply in June using SEP, request June 1, and watch the magic date change from July to June.

Or, don't try.

Caveat, not an agent.

:D

Ooooooo............... NOW we have the secret formula for dealing with Social Security that agents have been looking for the last couple of years. Everbody's clients just tell SS, " No need to worry about all that stuff in your POMS manual, Scott says you are to do it this way! "

I now see where OP's question came from, basically he wanted to know if there was a way to avoid the IEP rules and get a MAY 1 (NOT june 1) enrollment date for Part B since his client's application actions had made April the first month of the employment SEP.

Your advice is to just ignore the fact that client currently has a Part B application in the system AND to just ignore that the client appears to have had a face to face meeting with a social security rep to discuss his situation and for client to just go ahead and submit a second application in June.

Client still has the issue of medical insurance for May and his agent has the potential problem of dealing with license issues which could stem from giving a client advice which clearly contravenes written information from Social Security.

In addition, you are not the person who will have to clean up any messes that might result from having two simultaneous active Part B applications in the system.

I am not an agent, but in this case it seems to me you are providing rather iffy advice.

Riiiiiiiiiiight... It would be the first time EVER that SS received 2 Part B apps. They won't know what to do, the system will break, and (likely) jail will follow.

I should just turn in my license.

Back