Medicare Supplement Carrier Misled Consumers

Todd, it would seem that Mudlevel's client base don't vote.

Medicare and SS have long been a third rail in politics. No matter how much they (politicians) may talk about "saving" Medicare they don't dare increase costs dramatically for their constituents.

Raising deductibles and premiums combined with little or no COLA is a political disaster.

I absolutely agree with you. I think the 23% per year is way out there. So is the 10% for the increase in Plan G each year. But who knows? Time will tell.

I think it's very conservative saying Part B deductible will go up 23% per year. Plan G at 10% isn't far off I bet.

I don't have a lot of time to post anymore, I'm frantically trying to get all my client's to a G Plan before they get screwed on their current plans.

On what planet????

You really think that the largest voting bloc is going to get a 23% increase on their deductible???

So there you go folks, G plan for everyone! End of discussion. Shut down the discussion boards.

So Part B deductible went up 23% for next year (this happened during an election year). Let's just be conservative and say it goes up 23% every year until 2020. Now it's at $379.95 in 2020. My opinion is it will be much higher than that when government gets their way of clients paying first.

Now let's say the G plan for a 70 year old goes up 10%/year until 2020, now we are at $160/month premium. Now they are paying $2300/year before they get any coverage at the Dr, Outpatient Services, etc.

Client says I like the looks of this $0 premium MA plan, I could go to the Dr. 92 times before I hit what I'm paying on the G Plan Mr. or Mrs. Somarco.

No, you are still way better off on the G plan, besides that's all I know how to sell.

You ask where I get my information, I talk to the heads of FMO's and actually read up on the bills that get passed, etc. You should give it a try and it may just help your business.

Please tell me you aren't telling people this is a real possibility. In 2015, the 2016 projected increase for both the Medicare Part B premium and deductible were 52%. We all know how that turned out. Anyone telling people to expect annual increases of 23% is dishonest at best.

And just for reference, the deductible in 2005 was $110. So in 11 years the deductible has risen $56 and now you're suggesting in the next 3 years it could increase another $214?

Have any of you figured what the increase is this year for Part B deductible? 23% if I did my math correct. Why do you think the government is going to not raise it at least that much if not more since their whole objective to doing away with the F plan is to get people to have a "little skin in the game"? $204.00 is not skin in the game but $400-$500 might make them think a little before running to the Dr.

There will still be 60 million people eligible for the F plan come 2020 and beyond so I just think agent's are using this as a scare tactic and it is wrong.

Have any of you figured what the increase is this year for Part B deductible? 23% if I did my math correct. Why do you think the government is going to not raise it at least that much if not more since their whole objective to doing away with the F plan is to get people to have a "little skin in the game"? $204.00 is not skin in the game but $400-$500 might make them think a little before running to the Dr.

There will still be 60 million people eligible for the F plan come 2020 and beyond so I just think agent's are using this as a scare tactic and it is wrong.

And you're using one year to justify a 23% increase each year and projecting a 10% increase each year on Plan G. Pulling numbers like this out of your ass and telling it to your clients is not some sort of scare tactic? :swoon:

1. I don't market and the people who are jumping you for the 23% increase comment really don't either. We are referral based. No one on this thread is trying to sell new people Plan G based on the Plan F Sundown. Do I bring it up with people who call in? Yes. Am I selling G almost 100%? Yes. Do 100% of current clients know about the Sundown and have been given the option to move if they desire? Yes. That's not scare tactics. That's making sure your clients know you are giving them info available.

2. The number I am assuming you are referring to is from the Trustees report. The Trustees report is Chicken Little screaming "The Sky is Falling". If you are using that, you need to do some research on what it says every year and what is actually passed by the lovely folks in the House.

No, no one has actually figure out what has been passed in the House. They haven't done it yet. Ask us at Thanksgiving.

I have not told these numbers to any clients. All I tell them is we can look at the G plan but just know you can still keep your F plan in 2020. We can't predicts what the Part B deductible will be in the future but what I have seen on the G plan's I have written in the past is people aren't happy when their premium goes up along with their deductible. I have nothing against writing the G plan if a client wants it but I don't like agents sending mailers and calling people and telling them you need to get off the G plan because your F plan is going away in 2020. I also understand it is not any of you that are sending out those mailers. I also rely on referrals.

We all know with the government this whole thing could fall apart in 2019 and none of these changes will take place either.

increase is this year for Part B deductible?

Last year the deductible was $147.

This year it is $166.

My calculator says 13%. (Actually 12.9%)

what I have seen on the G plan's I have written in the past is people aren't happy when their premium goes up along with their deductible

Does it occur to you that F premium increases are attributed, at least in part, to the higher deductible?

Plans in Mud Creek are probably different from those in Georgia, but here when plan F increases by 8% plan G increases by 6% . . . or sometimes less.

My clients are smart enough to figure out that paying an extra $250 - $350 per year to have the carrier pay their B deductible for them is pretty dumb. Even the ones that don't get it at first do when I tell them this.

If you had plan G and were tired of paying the B deductible, would you be willing to pay a carrier $300 to pay your $166 deductible for you?

"Well I guess I would have to be pretty stupid to do that"

Sign here.

Time to look ahead now, 2016 is about over and the deductible is $204 for 2017 and that's where I got the 23%. We will just check back here in 2020 and that will answer all our questions as to who was correct. I'm betting there are going to be some pissed off client's in future year's paying a high Part B deductible along with their high premiums. Remember starting in 2020 the G plan will be the ones getting all the T-65 people who have health problems and do not have to answer health questions to get on the G plan.

Time to look ahead now, 2016 is about over and the deductible is $204 for 2017 and that's where I got the 23%. We will just check back here in 2020 and that will answer all our questions as to who was correct. I'm betting there are going to be some pissed off client's in future year's paying a high Part B deductible along with their high premiums. Remember starting in 2020 the G plan will be the ones getting all the T-65 people who have health problems and do not have to answer health questions to get on the G plan.

Site your source.

Not kidding.

You want to make a statement like that, back it up. Where has Medicare announced the 2017 Part B deductible.

Back