Michigan: New Agent looking for appointment Agency/MGA/Cluster/whatever

Kenneth Andrews

Hey guys. I'll be licensed in just a couple weeks. I've got a marketing plan, the gumption to make the calls and knock the doors. The only challenge I'm facing is where to go once licensed.

I know a variation of this question has been asked a million times. I'm just still struggling to find a path through all the landmines a new agent has to go through.

I understand that the general consensus is to work for/with someone else to get experience. I agree. The problem I'm facing is that i'm not sure exactly where to go to fit my needs. I know I want to be independent. all I want really is control of my book. I don't see the point of building someone else's business. I'm not so sure that's even a reasonable ask given what I've seen. I also want to cross sell life, and basically specialize in the "personal lines" approach. So either said agency should offer both, or allow me to cross sell somehow. I'm open to commercial, but I don't want to spread myself thin, so that likely won't be a focus. I have experience on the final expense side, so adding that on to my practice when I'm ready will be no issue. I need to learn the P&C side and focus on that for now. I just don't know where to go that I won't be shackled. At least not too much.

How does one get started? Are there any organizations/clusters that offer support and training similar to on the final expense side? Does anyone know anyone that will appoint a new agent with some sales experience in the Michigan, preferably mid Michigan, Flint area? Heck in these days I don't see why I couldn't work remote to get started.

I guess what I'm asking for is a referral to any organization in Michigan that I can write through which will accept me, offer at least basic guidance, and let me keep my book. If not possible, what steps do you recommend?

I should note that while I would prefer binding authority and leading with P&C sales. I can be flexible and give up binding privileges as long as the organization is timely with it. If I don't have binding authority I can always lead with life, set an appointment and cross sell P&C as part of a longer sales process rather than trying to do a one call close. And if there is an organization that would appoint a new agent, and doesn't necessarily have the training I need I won't hesitate to get that training elsewhere even If I have to call another agent and split the commission. I just need to be able to write the darn business to get the ball rolling.

Hello,

Michigan is a pretty tough state to get appointed in. I am in the Grand Rapids area. If you would be interested in talking you can email me at [email protected]

Phil Garcia

Update: I think Bolt formerly superior access may fit my needs. It would cost monthly. But I'm not opposed to paying for value. Controlling my business is valuable. Supposedly you control 100% of your business and they offer support. So I'm looking at their $250 a month plan. With no minimum premiums it may work perfect with me focusing on final expense, and as long as I write like 2 P&C policies a month it will pay for itself. Which is a pretty easy goal. Only thing I'm not sure yet is if I have binding authority. But they do talk about direct appointment.

Has anyone had experience with Bolt Superior access recently. I looked into them when they were superior and they didn't seem to fit the bill at that time. But it seems almost too good to be true. Is there any landmines I should be looking for that I have not considered?

Hey There,
Congrats on the new career path!

I always tell people binding authority is king. Without it, its so incredibly difficult to scale a business. So I think you are spot on with your preference for binding authority. Don't concede binding authority, even it sounds appealing at the time you're talking with a network.

All networks are built a little differently. You want to be mindful of the breakup.

How will you leave the network, should you decide you want to? Are they going to make you pay a % for your book of business? If yes (and many will), it begs the question... did you really own the book to begin with?

Regarding training, there's so many individuals out there willing to lend a helping hand. Resourcefulness will be your greatest resource, and I can tell by your post that you are resourceful. Many networks will also offer training.

I work in business development for a network called Horizon Agency Systems.

Our contract is SHORT and easy to understand. This may sound like a general blanket statement, but in life I've observed that the longer a contract is, the less favorable it is for the person signing it. I am nearly positive you will not find a shorter/simpler contract than ours.

Click on the link below and go navigate our FAQ.

There you will find a list of 27 questions to ask *any* network you are considering joining. Use these questions early and often... I see so many agency owners sign contracts before asking the important questions.

FAQ – Horizon Agency Systems

If I can help in any other way, just let me know.

Good luck!

I work in business development for a network called Horizon Agency Systems.

The service you offer seems very similar to Bolt Access. I'm interested. But could you tell me exactly where you differ from bolt? You have plans that include support. Does that mean I can call with something like "I have this specific weird client situation. What type of coverage do they need" you can help, or is the assistance purely administrative?

You can email me at [email protected] if you want, and we can set up a call or something.

The service you offer seems very similar to Bolt Access. I'm interested. But could you tell me exactly where you differ from bolt? You have plans that include support. Does that mean I can call with something like "I have this specific weird client situation. What type of coverage do they need" you can help, or is the assistance purely administrative?

You can email me at [email protected] if you want, and we can set up a call or something.

No servicing options currently, but looking to expand our offerings. We want to make sure the servicing option is extremely streamlined before offering it to our agents.

For now its mostly talk, but I will tell you its high on our priority list.

That said, we're growing fast. We made the Inc 1000 fastest growing companies last year, and we're really proud of that.

We've spent a grand total of $0.00 on ads - all word of mouth.

The reason I point this stuff out, I could see the servicing option take a back burner for a bit. Just trying to be transparent!

I'll get in touch via email and we can go through everything.

Don't do this alone to start. You will regret it.

I agree. I never said I wanted to go it alone. That's why support is a key issue for me. And if it's not possible, I'm the type of guy who believes in sharing the love where it makes sense too. If I get a complicated commercial opportunity for example. I will be the first to call in an expert in that field and split the commission rather than risk losing the sale, or worse an E&O claim.

No servicing options currently, but looking to expand our offerings. We want to make sure the servicing option is extremely streamlined before offering it to our agents.

I appreciate the reply. It seems like you have a great thing going. It may not work for me however because as a new agent, I will need some level of support. I did have somebody reach out to me about a potential opportunity and it may work better precisely because of that need for support. But I have not made any decisions yet, and will keep you in mind.

No problem. We do provide "support" - and alot of it.

What we don't have right now is an option where your clients can add drivers, change deductibles, cancel policies etc... those responsibilities are on our member agencies.

Working for someone else for a period of time is never a bad idea, especially if you can find an agency that will treat you well and already has the servicing infrastructure in place.

Some retail agencies will allow for producers to carry a % of their book over if they were to leave, I always advise that producers try to negotiate something like this.

Here to help if you need me, otherwise I wish you the best of success wherever you end up!

I agree. I never said I wanted to go it alone. That's why support is a key issue for me. And if it's not possible, I'm the type of guy who believes in sharing the love where it makes sense too. If I get a complicated commercial opportunity for example. I will be the first to call in an expert in that field and split the commission rather than risk losing the sale, or worse an E&O claim.

I appreciate the reply. It seems like you have a great thing going. It may not work for me however because as a new agent, I will need some level of support. I did have somebody reach out to me about a potential opportunity and it may work better precisely because of that need for support. But I have not made any decisions yet, and will keep you in mind.
How is your business right now? Got an appointment already?

Back