Momma's Boy

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Got a call yesterday from a woman in another state. Didn't register at first, but we had talked over a month ago when she called looking for health insurance for her son.

Her 44 year old son.

Son had moved to GA a few months ago and mommy was paying his health insurance premiums for him on coverage that really wasn't portable to Georgia.

I sent her, and him, a proposal based on what she wanted. Had a few follow up emails with the son, and then nothing.

I never did chase prospects and am less inclined to do so now when working for half pay. Correspondence went to zero a couple of weeks ago.

Until yesterday.

Mom was tired of paying the high premium and wanted to know the status. I told her he never decided on a plan or applied.

She then asked me to call him and then call her back and report what I had learned.

Talking to the son, he was still undecided. He also revealed his mother had told him not to indicate he was a smoker so they could get a better rate.

I told him that wouldn't work. The carrier WILL find out and surcharge his premium retroactively.

Then I called mom, relayed the conversation including the part about tobacco use and how the premium would be impacted. I sent both a link to the application.

Obama said parents can treat adult's as children until age 26. Apparently the law stopped short. Some children never grow up.

Please say this was an individual plan and this person has not been spreading his pollen...But then again god help the woman that falls for this mommas boy...Really paying for coverage for her 44 year old little boy...

But in all fairness, I was listening in on my wifes conversation with a former colleauge...She just got a job as a nanny for a famous actress...And after listening to the money this woman drops daily for her adopted daughters fun, I asked if she might be interested in adopting a 34 year old man :)

You must have had that conversation several times over the years. 45 seems to be the cut-off, but I do have one that asked me for a quote, and he is 50, and the Mother is not only paying the premiums, but he is on an allowance, while he sows his wild oats.

Ya'll must grow up a lot faster in Georgia.

Kick out my son at age 18.....helped him get an apartment and a room mate....best thing that could have happened to him...he has grown up more in a year than then living here....

He is working in "production" here in GA. Not sure what that means and didn't bother to ask.

Well if your mother is paying your health insurance at that age.

EIther she is rich or you are broke.

Been talking to a mother who wants to buy her 35 year old son health insurance. Went through the different quotes, said call back in a week after she had time to talk with son. Called back and she said not to call again, she would call me if interested.

I have a son turning 18 this year. We have had the talk already. If he is school, I will cover his basic cost. If no school he has a short period of time to get himself a job to start saving for an apartment.

While at home he is no longer my dependent. Not a guest, but a contributing adult. By age 25, if not gone on his own, I change the locks. No slackers allowed. His 28 year old brother has told him the same thing.

Back