Moving to a New State... Confused...

I just always assumed you had to have a resident state. I guess TX does not care as they do not need anything but an address change.

Like I said, they issued a license to Peeler and STI, so . . .

But I repeat myself.

Ok I have an update to this scenario...

I recently moved to Oregon from Texas. I've had an insurance license in TX since 2002. I talked to the Texas Department of Insurance and told them about my relocation. They told me that was fine and my license would change from a resident license to a non-resident license in TX when I sent them the address change.

All of my clients are currently in TX and I do not plan on selling insurance to any Oregon residents. TDI told me if I was doing business with Texans over the phone or online regardless of my location then I could operate with only the non-resident license in TX. I called to Oregon's Insurance Division to confirm there would be no issues on their end, and I got mixed feedback. They said as long as I didn't solicit Oregonians for insurance than they had no issues, but then they came back and said to be safe I should get licensed.

So, I submitted licensing paperwork to Oregon to receive a resident license. Basically, I just had to pay the fee, but it will take 3-6 weeks for the license to be issued in Oregon. I have also sent the address change to Texas Department of Insurance, so they show my new address and I'm compliant with them.

I have received a few calls from prior clients and referrals of prior clients that are TX residents that want health insurance quotes. TX says I am ok to do this business over the phone or online, but Oregon's lack of a solid answers has me a bit nervous. Can I legally help these potential clients? I'm just stumped where I stand on this, and don't want to risk criminal prosecution over what is merely an administrative issue. Then again, I also don't want to refer this business out and miss out on solid clients either.

I've read Oregon's insurance code and it does not specifically address this issue. It's very vague about whom needs to be licensed:

ORS 744.053 - Requirements to be licensed as insurance producer for class of insurance - Oregon Revised Statutes 2007

ORS 744.056 - Exemptions from insurance producer licensing requirements - Oregon Revised Statutes 2007

At the moment I have 3 underage health leads and 1 medicare supplement that need my attention that I may end up needing to refer out.

Last edited:
My take but it's not legal advice so it's just my opinion. If TX says you're fine to conduct business there then you can conduct business there.

That is my thought too... I always thought the state DOI's purpose was to protect the consumers of that state. No consumers in Oregon even know I sell insurance... heck... I couldn't sell in Oregon if I wanted to as I can't get appointed until my license comes through.

Back