Mozilla Firefox

CHUMPS FROM OXFORD

Guru
5000 Post Club
I never considered using that browser...until yesterday.

For whatever reason, my firewall/anti-virus software (CA provided by Time Warner) would not remember my password in certain sites. I could not log into the admin panel for my websites to make changes and certain social media sites were doing the same thing.

Finally...after a long chat with the CA people, it was determined the problem was Internet Explorer 8.

So I downloaded Firefox and had NO TROUBLE getting into any site. I still use IE8 as my default browser, but I have a feeling I will be using Firefox more and more as I get used to it.

Just curious...for those of you that have used Firefox for a while, are there any features I should know about (especially, SEO/Website type stuff).

Thanks.

Try to stay away from I.E. 8 many compatibility problems.

View your website how your customers view it. My recent months stats.

59% I.E. 7
12% Firefox

Screen Resolution: 1280 x 1024 or 1024 x 768

Here is what most use, but honestly I dont even use it. Its like anything else, if you dont know what the data is or how to use it, Its just another buzz word. This is the information that it provides, But unless you understand all this, its just a bunch of Useless Information.

SEO for Firefox Extension: Free SEO Toolbar Firefox Browser Plugin
  • PR: (Google PageRank) an estimated measure of global link authority
  • Age: age pulled from Archive.org, shows the first time a page was indexed by Archive.org's spider. The theory is that if Archive.org found a page so did many of the major search engines.
  • Links: (Yahoo! linkdomain) shows a rough estimate of the total number of links pointing at a domain
  • .edu Link: (Yahoo! .edu linkdomain ) shows a rough estimate of the total number of .edu links pointing at a domain
  • .edu Page Link: (Yahoo! .edu link ) shows a rough estimate of the total number of .edu links pointing at a specific page
  • .gov Link: (Yahoo! .gov linkdomain ) shows a rough estimate of the total number of .gov links pointing at a domain
  • Page Links: (Yahoo! link) shows a rough estimate of the total number of links pointing at a page
  • del.icio.us: number of times a URL has been bookmarked on Del.icio.us. Heavily skewed toward techy / Web 2.0 stuff.
  • Technorati: an estimate of the total number of links to a site from blogs
  • Alexa: rank based on website traffic . Heavily skewed toward internet marketing and webmaster related resources.
  • Cached: (Google site:) shows how many pages from a site are indexed in Google
  • dmoz: searches the Google Directory to count the total number of pages from a site that are listed in DMOZ, and the total number of pages listed in DMOZ that reference that URL.
  • Bloglines: shows you how many people are subscribed to a particular blog via Bloglines.
  • dir.yahoo.com: is a site listed in the Yahoo! Directory or not.
  • WhoIs: makes it easy to look up the whois data for any site.

Last edited:
I upgraded to IE 8 a few months ago and immediately had problems. Dave & I were working on some things jointly and I could not access the pages he wanted me to see. He walked me through how to uninstall IE 8 and restore 7. Haven't had any problems since.

But in the FWIW column, I use Chrome for a lot my "forum work" (which includes consumer forums, etc) but my default is FF. I still keep IE for sites that require it which are mostly carrier sites.

I upgraded to IE 8 a few months ago and immediately had problems. He walked me through how to uninstall IE 8 and restore 7. Haven't had any problems since.

But in the FWIW column, I use Chrome for a lot my "forum work" (which includes consumer forums, etc) but my default is FF. I still keep IE for sites that require it which are mostly carrier sites.
Totally correct. I am not the most knowledgeable computer guy, but my opinion is IE sucks, and IE v.8 sucks absolutely. MS should be criminally charged for putting out this kind of junk. FF runs circles around any version of IE, but for some reason, many carriers have a compatibility issue with it.
I honestly think it's because of MS's early dominance and incumbency. Just about any browser is better...again all IMHSUO (SU=somewhat uneducated)

I run a Mac. However I also run Windows (on the Mac). I too was "asked" by Windows (XP) to upgrade to IE 8 and not knowing much about M$ I did.

So far I've not had a problem with IE 8 but I don't use Win much. Is there a way to revert back to IE 7? If so, can one of you Windows guys give me the step-by-step?

FYI I use FF for the Mac but for a few sites (like WinFlex web) and part of Ohio Nat. I need to use IE ... so I just click an icon to bring up Windows on my Mac and it runs fine... and fast. I often just keep it running all day (minimized.) If you have enough RAM on your Mac you won't even notice the difference in performance of either system. Win looks like this:

paralleled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  1. Make sure you have a working browser such as Firefox or Safari that isn't a version of IE. (This way you can surf the web and re-download IE8 if the directions below cause you problems.)
  2. Download IE 7 from Microsoft's site.
  3. Save file (don't install yet.)
  4. Use Control Panel to uninstall IE8.
  5. Install IE 7 from your downloaded file.
You will lose any favorites you had in IE8. There are ways to save them and reinstall them into IE7, if that is important for you, you should be able to find instructions by using help or by Googling them.

One think about Mozilla really bugs me. It won't allow .EXE files to be executed by the user from a web site. You have to save them first whereas Microsoft permits you to either run or save.

I have used Mozilla for over a year now. The reason, everything that has been mentioned about IE above. Actually If Google Chrome had a few more features I would use it.

Back