Mozilla Firefox

It's not compatible with Aetna's producer world.

I've found many producer sites are incompatible with anything but IE. Mozilla and other browsers will display them but often you lose some functionality.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
How about Mozilla's email system "Thunderbird"? Is it worth my time to use it?

I use it. Are you using any email client now? Probably not worth upgrading from Outlook if you have been using that. But I think Thunderbird is better than Outlook Express, Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail.

There are some add ons for Thunderbird you would want to download to give it more functionality, especially the Lightning calendar add on. Unlike products from MS, Opera and other companies, Thunderbird is pretty much bare bones, and a few add ons really enhances it. On the other hand, there isn't much in the way of add ons for a lot of other software.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I never considered using that browser...until yesterday.

For whatever reason, my firewall/anti-virus software (CA provided by Time Warner) would not remember my password in certain sites. I could not log into the admin panel for my websites to make changes and certain social media sites were doing the same thing.

Finally...after a long chat with the CA people, it was determined the problem was Internet Explorer 8.

So I downloaded Firefox and had NO TROUBLE getting into any site. I still use IE8 as my default browser, but I have a feeling I will be using Firefox more and more as I get used to it.

Just curious...for those of you that have used Firefox for a while, are there any features I should know about (especially, SEO/Website type stuff).

Thanks.

I've used Firefox for about 5-6 years, since maybe 2003 or 2004, if not earlier. It was probably around the time version 1.0 was released. I have Safari installed, but have only toyed around with it a little. I have used Opera extensively as well.

Did you try the compatibility function in IE 8? That's the button to the left of the refresh button that looks like a piece of paper torn in half. It allows you to view the webpage in IE 7. I've found that it fixes problems on the pages I've had some issues with, but I don't typically use IE unless I have to.

I think the real problem comes in with pages that are designed for the decrepit IE 6, which some companies still use, and some IT departments haven't upgraded from. My understanding is that this is more of a problem with IE 8 than with IE 7. I think the idea may have been to get more companies to upgrade from IE 6 but it may backfire on MS and simply cause them to lose further market share to other browsers.

Last edited:
Here's some suggestions of Firefox additions that I use for SEO and other purposes:

RankChecker: Let's you check your ranking for various keywords in Google, Yahoo, and Bing. Really easy to use...

SEO for Firefox: Someone in this post already described in great detail...

IMacros for Firefox: Let's you record keystrokes and clicks for repetitive tasks.

Outwit Hub: Let's you extract data from different webpages...May be helpful for finding link partners...

Hope it helps, I tried to include links to the download pages, but my membership is too new to post links...you can just search any of those in google to find them...

I've been a fan of Firefox since I switched about a year ago.

Good Luck
Jay

Thanks Jay.

Geez...We're not used to informative first posts around here. Usually, it's someone from Zambia selling berry juice or someone selling their EBook for a couple of hundred bucks! Whoops. I think that's what I did.

I have been using Firefox for sometime now (MAC and PC)...The availability of exstensions is fantastic and you can really maximize your browsing experience.

From a user standpoint IE still owns the space, with IE 6 holding roughly 15-20% market share (mainly enterprise wide users), IE 8 starting to eclipse 7, FF gaining momentum along with Google's Chrome. The biggest difference is that MSFT's Explore has not adopted the latest in web standards CSS3, so site's tend to be finiky (sp).

From a user standpoint, FF and Safari give a great experience, but keep in mind that if you have a site, users could still be viewing it in IE 6.

Back