My Current Situation

I am a 31 year old. I have a Marketing degree and an associates in Process Technology. I have experience working in a law firm (civil litigation) and a tax company (tax resolution). I was laid off in 2012 and was looking for a job for six months until another gig came which I had to take because I didn’t have a choice. Right before going to work, I started working on setting up a bookkeeping and tax business with the intention that within a year or two, I would add insurance to the mix. I bought most of the equipment’s for small one man operation.

I worked for six months on the gig however the work was coming to an end. I was contacted by an ex-coworker who had a tax resolution business and they wanted additional help so she reached out to me. With the fact that the job I was currently working coming to an end, I took the opportunity came to work for her company. The salary is not great but I didn’t want to unemployed again. The job is very flexibility.

I know a young independent agent friend of mine who I previously spoke with and asked her if she could teach me the ropes of the insurance industry. She agreed and this is where I’m at now. She has been working independently for the past 3 years and previously worked for State Farm for several years.
She wants me to get P&C licenses which I am currently working on and should have it within 2 weeks followed by the health and life in a month. She wants me to get my own E & O insurance. She wants me to propose a commission split with her which I am going to propose a 60/40 split for premiums under $500k and 70/30 for premiums over $500k. Is that fair?

She is willing to train me for 6 months (12 months max) however at that time she wants me out her office. I would work part-time while maintaining my current FT job. 3:30pm-9pm and all day Saturday. Is that enough time? I would work the full time until I get about 50 clients then go full time. I still need to make about $2k per month to survive and make ends meet and help to build my business. I do not have a lot of experience doing sales.

Will the training be enough where I can manage and teach myself on my own?
Do I go and get experience elsewhere?
What would you suggest I do?

I see that you are getting your P&C license and then your life and health. Are you interested in selling all of those lines of insurance?

You also mentioned splitting commissions.
I think that should be based on:
1. What type of training provided
2. Is she going to go on appointments with you
3. Is she going to help you generate leads
4. What kind of other support is she going to be providing

Give me an idea of the question above and we can breakdown some options.

If she provides me with any leads, she wants 50% of what the lead generates. This includes any client from her database. I am going to focus on selling P & C to quickly build up then slowly cross sell term life.

I will have to find my own leads. (I plan on purchasing a list and cold walking and distribute business cards heavily since its the cheapest advertising). I will be focusing hard in one particular area so that I can become know within the area.

I am not sure what type of training she will provide because we haven't discussed much of that in detail as yet. Any recommendation here? This is where I really need help.

I am not sure she will attend appointment with me either.

She will basically let me use a computer she has at her office and provide me with a desk. I will also have a laptop.

For training on P&C I am not sure where to go for that to be honest. I deal with mainly life, annuities, ltc, etc. You will need to have a conversation with her about training and guidance on learning the ropes of the P&C business. Sorry that I can not help you on that front.

Latest posts

Back