My Mentor Isn't Happy

derekgmn

Expert
Hey Everyone,
I'm a fairly new agent with Northwestern Mutual. Recently I bought my first marketing list.

I've done some cold dialing off of it and have been able to set a few appointments just off the first page(out of 21 pages). I talked to my mentor about it and he said that it was a waste of time because it's not following the system of Northwestern which is only referrals. I love the referral system but quite honestly it's not giving my the number of appointments that I need. Of course calling my referrals is my priority but what am I suppose to do after I have just called them all reached 4 and set 1. Twiddle my thumbs?

I like Northwestern because I have access to Northwestern products but have the ability to shop around for my clients.

I think I am still going to continue cold calling. What would you guys suggest?:1baffled:

I would ask my mentor what else he recommends as marketing activity to fill my calendar. 1 new seen a week isn't going to cut it. Then I would follow his advice.

Ultimately, it is your business and not his. Does he pay your bills, mortgage, car, gas, etc.? Does he take a cut of your cases?

I would ask my mentor what else he recommends as marketing activity to fill my calendar. 1 new seen a week isn't going to cut it. Then I would follow his advice.

Ultimately, it is your business and not his. Does he pay your bills, mortgage, car, gas, etc.? Does he take a cut of your cases?

He says call people who know or your clients for more referrals. He said that should be your only marketing and that it should be more than enough to set 25 a week and keep 15.

I know that he gets a small cut not sure on what the % is.

He says call people who know or your clients for more referrals. He said that should be your only marketing and that it should be more than enough to set 25 a week and keep 15.

I know that he gets a small cut not sure on what the % is.

In other words he doesn't have a clue what to do as your warm market wasn't deep enough and you aren't getting enough referrals.

It is your calendar and your bills. Decide what is more important to you, doing it the Northwestern Way or filling your calendar. Just make sure you are putting worthwhile appointments on your calendar. Seeing people who aren't prospects can be worse than seeing no one at all.

That might happen if he continues to give me grief. Either that or to really get him upset do a direct mail campaign. He also stated that less people will buy that set an appointment from a cold call than those that buy because of a referral...I'm not doubting this but aren't we in sales? If I'm still calling all my referrals and selling to as many of those as I can as well as cold calling and making a few more sales hasn't my total production increased?

In other words he doesn't have a clue what to do as your warm market wasn't deep enough and you aren't getting enough referrals.

It is your calendar and your bills. Decide what is more important to you, doing it the Northwestern Way or filling your calendar. Just make sure you are putting worthwhile appointments on your calendar. Seeing people who aren't prospects can be worse than seeing no one at all.

Thanks!!! The list that I got was from Josh which everyone seems to say is very good. I targeted it the best I could to my target market. If I can increase my 1 sale a week to 3 sales a week I'll be happy. :laugh:

Hey Everyone,
I'm a fairly new agent with Northwestern Mutual. Recently I bought my first marketing list.

I've done some cold dialing off of it and have been able to set a few appointments just off the first page(out of 21 pages). I talked to my mentor about it and he said that it was a waste of time because it's not following the system of Northwestern which is only referrals. I love the referral system but quite honestly it's not giving my the number of appointments that I need. Of course calling my referrals is my priority but what am I suppose to do after I have just called them all reached 4 and set 1. Twiddle my thumbs?

I like Northwestern because I have access to Northwestern products but have the ability to shop around for my clients.

I think I am still going to continue cold calling. What would you guys suggest?:1baffled:

Lie to your manager.

There are two things your manager wants:
1) New premium coming in
2) A success story to brag about to new incoming agents that followed his "tried and true" method of success. In other words: EGO!

If you're doing enough of #1... then he'll STILL use you as a success story to feed his ego.

If you're not, he's going to feed his ego to you until you do enough of #1.

Do enough of #1... and they won't CARE where it's coming from.

BTW, your "marketing list" is just a bunch of low quality referrals you paid for. :)

Lie to your manager.

1) New premium coming in
2) A success story to brag about to new incoming agents that followed his "tried and true" method of success. In other words: EGO!

If you're doing enough of #1... then he'll STILL use you as a success story to feed his ego.

BTW, your "marketing list" is just a bunch of low quality referrals you paid for. :)

So my call to the ones on my list is going to go:
Joe Brown I got your name from Josh. You don't know Josh but he knew enough about you and thought that it would be beneficial for you to receive this call.... :D

Hey, I guess I better doing more #1 with whatever it takes and let my mentor bathe in his "method of success".

Lie to your manager.

1) New premium coming in

This is excellent advice. Tell your manager what ever it takes to keep him off your butt and get out and make those sales. He will probably tell you it is how he makes all his sales and that is fine but you are not him. It sounds like your warm market is not large enough.

Back