My Novel "Final Expense Man" is Free Until Jan 13

I’ve read 9 chapters so far. Really well written, evocative story telling. Only criticism I’d have is that the initial sales interview scene with Makayla could be a little less detailed on things like choice of carriers, etc. Those lines seem a little stiff compared to the rest of the writing. But overall, it’s a fast moving, good and interesting read.

Last edited:
Double Indemnity is one of my favorites and an inspiration for the book. One thing that always bothered me in the movie was that the two meet and 10 minutes later they're plotting murder. I thought maybe that was just the move but I read the book it's based on and it's just as sudden in the book as well - seems very implausible to me.

Final Expense Man is Double Indemnity with:
  • a more plausible ramp up in the love story
  • story taken down market from upper class Los Angeles to trailer parks and tenements
  • about a half-dozen sales scenes based on real life FE
About the $100K - yes, there are a few places where I stretched and simplified to keep the story readable by the general public, but in general it's insurance industry accurate. Religious revival sales concalls...Sons of Iceland...threading the underwriting needle to get a sale...famous president TV ads...it'll be familiar to anyone in FE.

Enjoy!
The very 1st line reminded me of a post I made a few months ago. It was actually a Med Supp DM door knock. Thankfully, the husband told me about the bedbugs BEFORE I sat down. :eek::twitchy:

I just saw the Joker, so I think Joaquin Phoenix could do well as the lead FE role. Maybe Robert De Niro as an experienced FE trainer that shows him the ropes of the hard scrabble life of a veteran FE agent. He could draw inspiration from his role in Taxi Driver. Possibly have Quentin Tarantino direct the movie. Throw in John Goodman as an Lincoln Heritage agent that gets a policy replaced and is pissed.

You could also have Jeff Bridges with a "Dude" like FE agent character.

I just saw the Joker, so I think Joaquin Phoenix could do well as the lead FE role. Maybe Robert De Niro as an experienced FE trainer that shows him the ropes of the hard scrabble life of a veteran FE agent. He could draw inspiration from his role in Taxi Driver. Possibly have Quentin Tarantino direct the movie. Throw in John Goodman as an Lincoln Heritage agent that gets a policy replaced and is pissed.

I think Reardon might make a passable Dave Duferd. In a pinch like if Brad Pitt isn’t available.

Alec Baldwin should play the trainer.

The leads are weak?

Good cast, but replace "Punchie". :yes:

I am mostly through with it now. No spoilers, but it's really good. It is a fast read, which means it flows well and is well written and edited.
The love story does actually feel more...plausible than in Double Indemnity so that's good.
All in all I read at least 2 dozen novels per year, and this one is impressive.

Back