Nebraska hospitals warn seniors that Medicare Advantage isn’t for everyone

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania
[EXTERNAL LINK] - Nebraska hospitals warn seniors that Medicare Advantage isn't for everyone

The Nebraska Hospital Association said Medicare Advantage plans often promote themselves as offering more benefits.

But President Jeremy Nordquist said the Advantage program requires unreasonable levels of documentation and often denies care coverage.

“For many seniors, it leaves holes in their health care system that will mean extensive out-of-pocket costs that seniors didn’t have to incur when they had traditional Medicare with a supplemental plan,” he said.

The association also said Medicare Advantage is jeopardizing the state’s hospitals.

Why don’t they just come out and say what’s really hurting their bottom line. Not being able to do any test or procedure they want without being held accountable like it was 10 years ago. And nursing homes not being able to do therapy 5 times a week on alzheimers patients that sleep through it.

Why don’t they just come out and say what’s really hurting their bottom line. Not being able to do any test or procedure they want without being held accountable like it was 10 years ago. And nursing homes not being able to do therapy 5 times a week on alzheimers patients that sleep through it.

This is spot on. Some facilities and providers are not used to not dealing with that endless unchecked taxpayer piggeyback of original Medicare, so they’re butthurt.

But in order to not appear as coming from the greedy and selfish place that they’re coming from, they’ll say “but, but….it hurts the patients,” when it’s not.

They hate that Medicare Advantage is now based upon healthy outcomes of patients and not fee-for-service, as it always was since inception, and how original Medicare currently is.

They loved being able to run-up 10 tests a visit to pad them pockets. I don’t know why some people still think doctors and hospitals are these uber-moral and supremely ethical entities.

The reality is, these people and places are businesses and are driven by money. No different than a crooked mechanic unnecessarily running up your car repair bill.

Last edited:
All that MAPD oversight seems to be similar to the CMS BS agents complain about . . . yet they will never explain the true benefits of Medigap which has almost no marketing restrictions and can be sold year round.

Why don't they just admit that Medigap is often a better choice for the informed consumer that isn't collecting welfare and buying lottery tickets?

This is spot on. Some facilities and providers are not used to not dealing with that endless unchecked taxpayer piggeyback of original Medicare, so they’re butthurt.

But in order to not appear as coming from the greedy and selfish place that they’re coming from, they’ll say “but, but….it hurts the patients,” when it’s not.

They hate that Medicare Advantage is now based upon healthy outcomes of patients and not fee-for-service, as it always was since inception, and how original Medicare currently is.

They loved being able to run-up 10 tests a visit to pad them pockets. I don’t know why some people still thing doctors and hospitals are these Uber-moral and supremely ethical entities.

The reality is, these people and places are businesses and are driven by money. No different than a crooked mechanic unnecessarily running up your repair bill.
Geez! Accirding to midlevel and you, you never know the article said MA was good for some people. Why is it that if it is even remotely hinted that Msupp is a better buy for even one person the MA guys get up in arms.

You question the motives of the hospitals saying they are just overly greedy and act like that would never apply to an insurance company when denying paying for treatment or denying claims.

If you ever lived in a fown where the only hospital closed its doors because of the "bottom line", you might think differently about hospitals being concerned about the finances.

Try putting out a big old bowl of candy at Halloween. A few will just take 1 or 2 pieces but there will be the greedy ones who sees an opportunity and will take full advantage of the situation. Now apply that to a certain number of Drs, Hospitals and skilled nursing facilities that see the big old bowl of Original Medicare money and take full advantage of the free for all. If you don't think certain tests, procedures, etc should have some oversight and prior authorization then you are part of the problem.

Geez! Accirding to midlevel and you, you never know the article said MA was good for some people. Why is it that if it is even remotely hinted that Msupp is a better buy for even one person the MA guys get up in arms.

You question the motives of the hospitals saying they are just overly greedy and act like that would never apply to an insurance company when denying paying for treatment or denying claims.

If you ever lived in a fown where the only hospital closed its doors because of the "bottom line", you might think differently about hospitals being concerned about the finances.

I’m not a “Medicare Advantage guy.” I’m a “truth at all costs guy.” I offer both supplements and Medicare Advantage. Whichever one someone picks, I truly don’t care.

I just can’t sit back and constantly keep seeing all the exaggerated Medicare Advantage bashing from some people with nefarious motives.

I’ve got tons of clients on supplements and tons of clients on Medicare Advantage. And there’s never a complaint out of the Medicare Advantage crowd.

So I mean, obviously something is not adding up with everyone who screams “the sky will fall if you go on Medicare Advantage!!!!!!!”

Medicare Advantage polls unbelievably high in satisfaction rates. Coupled with the fact that I never hear complaints about it, it appears the only people claiming it’s bad is anyone except the people that are actually on it. The irony.

Try putting out a big old bowl of candy at Halloween. A few will just take 1 or 2 pieces but there will be the greedy ones who sees an opportunity and will take full advantage of the situation. Now apply that to a certain number of Drs, Hospitals and skilled nursing facilities that see the big old bowl of Original Medicare money and take full advantage of the free for all. If you don't think certain tests, procedures, etc should have some oversight and prior authorization then you are part of the problem.
You think the same thing would not happen if you stuck in front of a bunch of insurance execs that are charged with approving procedures?

Back