Need guidance

rinksindahouz

My wife's car got hit while it was parked outside our house. The other party took responsibility and shared their auto insurance to start the claim. Theirs was Progressive. Upon inspection by the adjuster, Progressive determined it as a total loss due to damage to the frame. However, the other driver's property damage limit was only $50k which is less compared to the assessed damage. BTW, this happened in Texas. Due to the limit issue, I had to start a claim with my insurance, Encompass and thankfully my property damage limit is over 50k and this would be considered not a fault. Long story short, the Encompass adjuster provided the estimate which was 12k vs the bodyshop which is 32k. Additionally, they didn't consider it as total loss as it is repairable. This concerns me as in my head the thought of total first and now repairable. Do i have any rights? Or can i force them to reconsider? The car we are talking about is a 2022 lexus nx 350 with 4k ish miles. Any advise would be appreciated.

How much is the Lexus worth? Do you have anything in writing from Progressive saying it was a total loss? - I'm trying to clarify because you said the total damage was over 50K, but there's a bodyshop saying they can fix it for 32K? There's something not adding up with the math there. Was other property or vehicles damaged?

Additionally, is Encompass going to repair it, or are they just trying to cut you a check for 12K?

Last edited:
Based on my research approx. $46k. Nope, nothing in writing..well on 2nd thought I have mail from them that I haven't opened so the possibility exists. The conversation about fixing the car started after a new claim was started with my insurance (Encompass) since Progressive driver had a max property damage coverage of $50k and the payout amount was close to $54k. Encompass did their assessment and came with an estimate of $12k and the body shop did theirs which came up to $32k. As of today, Encompass has approved the $32k and the Bodyshop will start the work to repair the car. I was told every insurance company is different when it comes to total loss calculation. The fact is my car has very few miles and the market value is high so total loss isn't possible.

A total loss is always possible, maybe just not in this situation.

It sounds like being patient and going through the process has answered your own questions! Regardless, we still have to charge you for our advice. We'll be taking a 20% commission for insurance-forums.com. On a $32K repair, that comes out to $6,400. Where would you like us to mail the invoice?

What does your agent advise you to do? I certainly hope you hired an agent to protect such a high valued asset like a high end car valued at over $50k

Agents have no business getting in the middle of claims.
Other than most agents business is impacted by being involved in some aspects of the claim, not the payment. But any agent earning ongoing commissions on renewal premiums should have some involvement explaining the process, how to protect property, where to go, next steps, etc. Failure to do so will be reflected in lower client retention, less referrals & lower customer satisfaction.

Plus, a big part of a good agency is helping a consumer settle down when a claims adjustor is poorly communicating, not returning calls or being rude. Not all claims reps are as good as you.

Lastly, with all the ways that claims impact rates, a good agent will help counsel a client what claims to file & which ones to pay put of pocket, etc

Back