Need Help with Choice Please.

I'm glad you see the situation for what it is. A *BASE*, plus one time commission, plus training, that's what you would be working for.

If you want to be able to walk away with your client list, best case scenario you're going to get a higher commission on your book, but no one in their right mind is going to pay you a base to build your own client list so you can just walk away when the most likely result is them losing money. If you are that confident in your abilities and have enough savings to survive then you could probably start off 100% commission with someone, but that's pretty much going to be your only option. Do you see why it makes no sense for someone to pay you to build your book if you're going to take it when you leave?

I'm glad you see the situation for what it is. A *BASE*, plus one time commission, plus training, that's what you would be working for.

If you are that confident in your abilities and have enough savings to survive then you could probably start off 100% commission with someone, but that's pretty much going to be your only option.

Thanks for the feedback, MPS. You mean working for a broker?

Last edited:
Exactly. Find an indy shop in your area and tell them what you'd like to do (maybe 75% of commission, new business and renewals) and that when you grow to the point where you want to branch out on your own you want to be able to take your book with you. It's not a terribly attractive option, but you might be able to find some agencies that are willing to do that.

Thanks again! Client base concerns aside, is a newcomer more likely to get off to a better $ start by working for a good independent than a captive agency? From a sales potential perspective, more products and pricing options seem to make better sense.

Thank You.

Last edited:
lori, there are a few good imo on this board.. mps,frank, depends on what kind of insurance you want to sell... med subs, and final expense, will be the quickest way, to start making money. p&c is the hardest...mps sells data lists, so you can do your own tel-marketing... i have been selling disability, med subs, and now final expense. to build some money and then open a p&c agency.

Back