Need some guidance; making the move...

Hi, I don't know the answer to your questions. RI is very limited as to carriers, I do know that. I'm licensed in RI, MA (cost me over $300 to renew my license there, which i consider way too much $$, just as an aside) and also FL.

I'm going to take the leap. Register with them, username, password, etc, that apparently generates a call to me from their contracting department. And YES, I"ll make sure I get everything in writing.

One thing that impressed me about this FMO (Garity) is that the person I spoke with emphasized that very thing...to not only make sure everything is in writing, but that I actually READ every word, not just blindly sign every contract they put before me.

They came as a referral to me, thru a financial advisor here in RI who has been with them for years. So, for better or worse, here goes.

I'm sure I'll be starting a new thread with additional questions. I know the Medicare Supp and MA landscape is complicated and NOT static, but I'm a good student, have an excellent memory and a strong attention to detail.

I'll make this work, and will be successful. Not meaning to sound arrogant, just confident and goal oriented.

Thank you everyone, and please, ANYONE who wants to offer any tidbits, suggestions, or nuggets of wisdom and/or experience regarding this selling of Medicare et al, GO FOR IT....

Gratefully,
-Robin

Hi, I don't know the answer to your questions. RI is very limited as to carriers, I do know that. I'm licensed in RI, MA (cost me over $300 to renew my license there, which i consider way too much $$, just as an aside) and also FL.

I'm going to take the leap. Register with them, username, password, etc, that apparently generates a call to me from their contracting department. And YES, I"ll make sure I get everything in writing.

One thing that impressed me about this FMO (Garity) is that the person I spoke with emphasized that very thing...to not only make sure everything is in writing, but that I actually READ every word, not just blindly sign every contract they put before me.

They came as a referral to me, thru a financial advisor here in RI who has been with them for years. So, for better or worse, here goes.

I'm sure I'll be starting a new thread with additional questions. I know the Medicare Supp and MA landscape is complicated and NOT static, but I'm a good student, have an excellent memory and a strong attention to detail.

I'll make this work, and will be successful. Not meaning to sound arrogant, just confident and goal oriented.

Thank you everyone, and please, ANYONE who wants to offer any tidbits, suggestions, or nuggets of wisdom and/or experience regarding this selling of Medicare et al, GO FOR IT....

Gratefully,
-Robin

I wouldn't worry too much about Florida. Sure, you can write UHC there and it's popular. But they don't allow cold calling for Medicare supplements and no online app. Has to be face to face or mail them the app. And you have Humana which requires the same thing. No Aetna or Cigna on med supps with Garrity. And Wellcare and Aetna only with Mapd.

Hope they have good training.

I don't know the answer to your questions. RI is very limited as to carriers, I do know that.

Let us know a zip code and I'm sure someone here with CSG (quote engine) can let you know whether or not you can be competitive with those 3 limited carriers.

This way, you can know, rather than guess, about where your product offering is compared to your direct, local, around the bend competition (who already has an advantage due to experience and a medigap client base).

I'd recommend finding the top carriers, then pick the FMO. I'm can't think of a good reason to reverse the order (I'm not a recruiter, I have no skin in the game).

I'm in Providence, RI. Zip of 02903. I'm licensed in RI and MA. I have done lots of business (Aflac, B2B) in southeastern Massachusetts, so I have a network there, but I'm going to start off getting appointed in RI.

You are all using language and terms with which I'm not familiar so forgive my naivete. How would I find out who the carriers are in RI, and which ones are the "top?"

As I said earlier, the FMO maze can really confuse you, or at least it did me. I spoke with several of them on the phone. Excelsior seemed nice, but they never got back to me, and were vague regarding the RI market (maybe not a lot of experience.) Senior Market Advantage out of Nashville seemed excited to "open up" the RI area, but again, they didn't respond to me very quickly. Golden Years out of NJ.....mostly sells MAPD.

So I registered with Garity, waiting to hear back from their contracting department. In the meantime, I have to get AHIP certified. I've heard horror stories about it. Any advice????

Last edited:
I'm in Providence, RI. Zip of 02903. I'm licensed in RI and MA. I have done lots of business (Aflac, B2B) in southeastern Massachusetts, so I have a network there, but I'm going to start off getting appointed in RI.

You are all using language and terms with which I'm not familiar so forgive my naivete. How would I find out who the carriers are in RI, and which ones are the "top?"

As I said earlier, the FMO maze can really confuse you, or at least it did me. I spoke with several of them on the phone. Excelsior seemed nice, but they never got back to me, and were vague regarding the RI market (maybe not a lot of experience.) Senior Market Advantage out of Nashville seemed excited to "open up" the RI area, but again, they didn't respond to me very quickly. Golden Years out of NJ...that was just a strange conversation. The owner (the son) strongly advised only selling Med Supps, over the phone, in rural parts of the US (ie Kansas.) He is apparently doing well with that strategy, but it doesn't align with my prinicples, goals, etc.

So I registered with Garity, waiting to hear back from their contracting department. In the meantime, I have to get AHIP certified. I've heard horror stories about it. Any advice????
You should contact Todd King. He can help you with what companies you need and he's a straight shooter. He probably has the best training (online) you can get without going captive. :yes:

As I said earlier, the FMO maze can really confuse you, or at least it did me. I spoke with several of them on the phone. Excelsior seemed nice, but they never got back to me, and were vague regarding the RI market (maybe not a lot of experience.) Senior Market Advantage out of Nashville seemed excited to "open up" the RI area, but again, they didn't respond to me very quickly. Golden Years out of NJ...that was just a strange conversation. The owner (the son) strongly advised only selling Med Supps, over the phone, in rural parts of the US (ie Kansas.) He is apparently doing well with that strategy, but it doesn't align with my prinicples, goals, etc.

Looks like there are 2 major players there that I would make sure I pick up. AARP and Mutual of Omaha come up as one of the most competitive for both Male and Female across Plans F, G, and N. (The 3 plans you'll be concerned with).

We are also an FMO if you would like to chat. Just call and we'll talk then. Even if we're busy and you have to leave us a message it won't take long to get back to you. (Usually within the hour).

We can also get you a discount for the AHIP program.

Last edited:
The Ahip is very long and boring but see it as learning/study time. I think you can save the material in your computer for future reference.The FMO should guide you and show you how to get a discount for the fee. Also ask the if they have some type of Medicare 101 presentation or webinar in order to have a general picture. Good luck!

Thank you both for your replies. I spoke with my FMO this morning. I'm going to start out getting appointed with Blue Cross and United Health; they are by far the most popular in RI and offer the lowest rates, according to the FMO.

Humana and TransAmerica are also two other carriers I can get appointed with if I choose. Some carriers require you be captive (Bankers Life) and will keep your renewals upon release, I'm told?

I'll ask about Mutual of Omaha.

For now, I'm awaiting contracting materials. United Health Care is all on-line, while Blue Cross still does everything on paper.

United Health's portal will get me to the AHIP program, and also give me a discount on the cost.

I'm working up an inchoate Business Plan, that basically looks like this:

1. Get contracted with FMO
2. Appointed with carriers
3. AHIP certified
4. Learn, learn, learn Med Supp et al
5. Marketing campaign: mailers, phone scripts
6. Mine for potential clients in my existing book of business
7. Buy leads
8. Start smiling, dialing, and setting appointments...

Anything I'm forgetting?

Thanks!!!

Latest posts

Back