Need some guidance; making the move...

Thank you both for your replies. I spoke with my FMO this morning. I'm going to start out getting appointed with Blue Cross and United Health; they are by far the most popular in RI and offer the lowest rates, according to the FMO.

Humana and TransAmerica are also two other carriers I can get appointed with if I choose. Some carriers require you be captive (Bankers Life) and will keep your renewals upon release, I'm told?

I'll ask about Mutual of Omaha.

For now, I'm awaiting contracting materials. United Health Care is all on-line, while Blue Cross still does everything on paper.

United Health's portal will get me to the AHIP program, and also give me a discount on the cost.

I'm working up an inchoate Business Plan, that basically looks like this:

1. Get contracted with FMO
2. Appointed with carriers
3. AHIP certified
4. Learn, learn, learn Med Supp et al
5. Marketing campaign: mailers, phone scripts
6. Mine for potential clients in my existing book of business
7. Buy leads
8. Start smiling, dialing, and setting appointments...

Anything I'm forgetting?

Thanks!!!

You're already starting out behind the power curve. I just ran quotes and told you who are the better ones there. The only reason Blue Cross is "popular" there is because everybody knows that name and will pick them because they are uneducated when it comes to Medicare. They will later find out they are paying a whole lot for nothing if a good agent comes along and shows them. Just because they are popular doesn't mean they are the best for your client.

Banker's Life is NOT captive.

Where are you getting this information? Whoever is giving it to you doesn't seem to know what they are talking about.

Well bankers life and casualty is captive. I think she means that. Not bankers life.

Anyone who tells you ahip is a nightmare is either A and *** or B just doesn’t care to sell mapd.

Well bankers life and casualty is captive. I think she means that. Not bankers life.

Anyone who tells you ahip is a nightmare is either A and *** or B just doesn’t care to sell mapd.

You're correct. I was thinking about Banker's Fidelity. As for Banker's Life....well, you don't want them anyway!

Hi guys. Confusion reigns. Every time I think I've got a handle on this, I go down another rabbit hole.

Garity didn't call me when they said they would, I coudln't get anyone on the phone live, and I didn't "click" with the account manager they assigned me with.

She is the one who gave me incorrect info...when I came back with what Todd told me, she stammered, hemmed and hawed and told me 'well maybe you're right.' Huh???

So...at the behest of a guru here, I called Senior Market Sales. Tom Parkin was the guy who I got on the phone, and he was impressive. 'Course when I google SMS here on the forum, there are dozens of posts warning people not to do business with them, but also 3X that amount of peeps who sing their praises.

Again, I'm just so confused. There seems to be some just-below-the-surface fighting on here, and I don't care for it. I'm also appalled at the way some folks speak/write to me. Geez, whatever happened to being gracious and kind?

So...for what it is worth, I'm looking for an FMO, I have NO idea how to gauge product training, no clue about carriers (but I'm trying to learn) and the more I dig, the more complicated everything seems.

1. Do I sell Med Supps only? Over the phone? In rural parts of the country that i have never set foot in?
2. Medicare Advantage: This is going to sound dumb I'm sure, but why wouldn't someone choose it? Zero dollar premium, maximum on OOP costs, drug plan...it seems like a no-brainer.
3. I'm told that A. MA is a pain in the ass because carriers pull out and change coverage, etc. Also, I'm told there is a ton of service work. Then another person will tell me that its' not that bad, it's changing, etc.

I ordered Medicare & You; the feds will take several weeks to send it to me. In the meantime, trying to absorb as much as I can everyday, but I'm RESTLESS because I'm not selling. I don't need anyone to fix that....this is "learning curve" time, but I just want to sell It's in my blood; I actually enjoy cold calling. (love the hunt, the adrenaline rush, all that crap.)

Okay, I'm rambling, forgive me. SMS impressed me. Garity...well upon first blush they looked good, but when someone says they're going to call you and they DON'T (twice) it makes an impression on me. A poor one. I'm a fanatic about returning calls.

So. SMS----a good choice, my fellow insurance-ites? Should I call Todd?

Note to Todd, you seem very, very knowledgeable, but your post where you chided me and said I was "behind the power curve" or something like that...well it put me off a bit. How the heck do I know who to trust, where to go, what to believe....I'm so green, I'm barely sprouting.

Sigh. So many questions, so much total confusion. I want to help people, navigate thru the Medicare mess, and SELL, SELL, SELL. I'm a maniac when it comes to selling, but i have a heart and conscience. At Aflac, I found a way to marry my principles and my insatiable drive to turn prospects into clients. It was difficult...there were a ton of people who didn't care at all about the PBP (person behind the policy. ) It was just numbers and overrides. I'm meeting some folks like that now in my journey. They don't care about F2F...everything over the phone. Yup, more money that way, I can see, because windshield time is well, TIME NOT SELLING. But is it 100% ethical?

Please, no flaming, I want to keep this civil. Thank you a million times. Anyone, who wants to throw in their two cents, Please Do!!

Yours in annual premium,
Robin

Note to Todd, you seem very, very knowledgeable, but your post where you chided me and said I was "behind the power curve" or something like that...well it put me off a bit. How the heck do I know who to trust, where to go, what to believe....I'm so green, I'm barely sprouting.

Not speaking for Todd, but when I read his comment, that wasn't a dig against you - it was simply pointing out that the FMO had limited offerings and you would - in fact - be behind the power curve because your FMO was pushing non-competitive products.

I'm not sure why that would put you off. It's a fact - those carriers aren't as competitive as others - and his statement was based on looking at your market.

Back