New Agent Advice :) Yeah Yeah not again :)

Mhatten

Hi All! I am Melissa. I am a fairly new agent. I began my Journey in Late November of 2019. Then COVID Came! I am a captive agent with UHC. I love our product and feel it has a lot to offer our local clients.

Anyway, I do not get many leads as our area is saturated with reps. So I ventured out and handle my own marketing.

In 2019 I signed 5 clients.

In 2020, (a major surgery and covid fun!) I signed 40

I am averaging 3 a month at this time.

I have my license and contracting for other avenues (life, annuities, etc.) but I find my personal favorite to be my 65+ population. I have a great love for the elderly.

Anyway, I am wanting to know the following:

What growth rate should I be expecting as I become seasoned? ( I put in a ton of effort, but could do better if covid didn't have my community hands tied)

What other "Product" am I not selling that I should take a harder look at? (Or is it even worth the effort?)

Postcard or Letter for Direct Mail? What is your experience?

How much of your own $ do you throw back in to marketing for more clients? I currently put 1/4 to 1/2 back into my business.

Thanks in advance, BE NICE! We were all new once upon a time.

What growth rate should I be expecting as I become seasoned? ( I put in a ton of effort, but could do better if covid didn't have my community hands tied)

What other "Product" am I not selling that I should take a harder look at? (Or is it even worth the effort?)

Your questions are part of a far larger picture and go far beyond just 'products'. It really depends on what you want to specialize in and be known for. Not just your skills today, but building skills and expertise to grow into where you really want to be.

If you really like the Senior / Retiree marketplace (review my video to determine whether that means the violet/purple Medicare Supplement / Final Expense property group, or the yellow comprehensive personal retirement income and estate planning property group)... there are a few directions to go in.

In either case, learning how to ask questions will be a key skill.

Van Mueller practically teaches a master class on how to ask questions. You'll learn a lot from this 4 hour training. (Some of it is a bit outdated since Trump passed some tax-reform, but focus on the principles rather than all the numbers.)

Hi All! I am Melissa. I am a fairly new agent. I began my Journey in Late November of 2019. Then COVID Came! I am a captive agent with UHC. I love our product and feel it has a lot to offer our local clients.

Anyway, I do not get many leads as our area is saturated with reps. So I ventured out and handle my own marketing.

In 2019 I signed 5 clients.

In 2020, (a major surgery and covid fun!) I signed 40

I am averaging 3 a month at this time.

I have my license and contracting for other avenues (life, annuities, etc.) but I find my personal favorite to be my 65+ population. I have a great love for the elderly.

Anyway, I am wanting to know the following:

Postcard or Letter for Direct Mail? What is your experience?

How much of your own $ do you throw back in to marketing for more clients? I currently put 1/4 to 1/2 back into my business.

Thanks in advance, BE NICE! We were all new once upon a time.

I'd recommend adding final expense. I live in Raleigh, what part of NC do you live in?

Your questions are part of a far larger picture and go far beyond just 'products'. It really depends on what you want to specialize in and be known for. Not just your skills today, but building skills and expertise to grow into where you really want to be.

If you really like the Senior / Retiree marketplace (review my video to determine whether that means the violet/purple Medicare Supplement / Final Expense property group, or the yellow comprehensive personal retirement income and estate planning property group)... there are a few directions to go in.

In either case, learning how to ask questions will be a key skill.

Van Mueller practically teaches a master class on how to ask questions. You'll learn a lot from this 4 hour training. (Some of it is a bit outdated since Trump passed some tax-reform, but focus on the principles rather than all the numbers.)

Thank you, I will check out the information.

I am a captive agent with UHC.

This may limit what you can and cannot do as a side hustle . . .

A captive agent by definition is one who is only taught the product line your carrier (agency) offers. You will never hear anything good about the competition. You will be indoctrinated with the belief that there is no reason to look elsewhere.

I started as a carrier rep which means I was captive. I had to figure out a way for clients (in this case, brokers) to use our product line.

After years of "No, we don't offer that. No we don't do things like that. And so forth . . ." I left and went out on my own.

The "free" life isn't for everyone. Knowing you don't make $$ until someone buys can be tough. The longer you stay captive the more difficult it becomes to stay.

This may limit what you can and cannot do as a side hustle . . .

A captive agent by definition is one who is only taught the product line your carrier (agency) offers. You will never hear anything good about the competition. You will be indoctrinated with the belief that there is no reason to look elsewhere.

I started as a carrier rep which means I was captive. I had to figure out a way for clients (in this case, brokers) to use our product line.

After years of "No, we don't offer that. No we don't do things like that. And so forth . . ." I left and went out on my own.

The "free" life isn't for everyone. Knowing you don't make $$ until someone buys can be tough. The longer you stay captive the more difficult it becomes to stay.
Perhaps I am confused... I do not get anything unless I sell a policy. Nada

I sell other products but when it comes to MAPD the only thing I can offer is UHC. Which in my area is an excellent plan for my clients.

Am I misunderstanding "captive"?

Last edited:

In my opinion the growth rate you should expect is totally centered around how many referrals you can find out of each round of 100 new clients. The higher this number, the far faster you will grow. When you are done signing up a new client, circle back with them a month later for a quick check in.

In my opinion the growth rate you should expect is totally centered around how many referrals you can find out of each round of 100 new clients. The higher this number, the far faster you will grow. When you are done signing up a new client, circle back with them a month later for a quick check in.
Thank you. I am sending thank you cards and staying in touch!!

Back