New Agent, What Are Some Quality Companies to Produce for

G

I just passed my tests and want to sell auto,motorcycle , and home insurance. What are some solid companies to produce for? I want to stay independent and work from home.

I look forward to your input.

you have some problems with your strategy....

1. you're about to find out that very few carriers will appoint an agent without experience.
2. very few carriers will appoint an agent without an existing book of business.
3. what you have learned in studying for your license is only a small piece of the learning curve. the bad thing about starting out independent is.... who's gonna train you?

I'm not trying to discourage you but it is very tough to start out indy with no p&c experience. You're better off either starting out captive, or work for an existing independent agency, to get your training/experience (and whichever you choose, make sure your non-compete contract doesn't read like a marriage obligation).

if you are hell bent on going out on your own, you will probably need to sign with an aggregator in order to write with multiple carriers.

I just passed my tests and want to sell auto,motorcycle , and home insurance. What are some solid companies to produce for? I want to stay independent and work from home.

I look forward to your input.

It would be best if you got experience first.... I listed some of the companies that I can think of the top of my head...:

Progressive
GMAC
Foremost
Unitrin (Kemper)
MetLife
Travelers
Hallmark

Do you want to own the agency or work for an independent ?

option 2 would be preferable for a start, you can always branch out later

own my own agency. I have always worked for myself, prefer it that way.

Honestly is gonna be hard with no experience. You are probably not going to get very many appointments with 0 experience and working from home. You will at least having to get an office.

What the guys have said is accurate. and don't forget the E&O
Raph is right about an office. For the lines you want to get into you will have clients wanting to come in and make payments.

Also in Fl which im not sure what state you are in many of the marketing reps for all the different P&C companies do not like to appoint agents without an office.

Back