New certification for life insurance agents

You had to be a NAIFA member at the time the designation is conferred... but you did not have to maintain membership, nor CE requirements for the LUTCF/FSS. Now with this new one, you have to report ethics CE every 2 years.

I bet the College may start imposing a bi-annual recertification fee, just like with the $250 fee for CLU/ChFC earned since 2007. Even if they say they won't... everything is subject to change.

You had to be a NAIFA member at the time the designation is conferred... but you did not have to maintain membership, nor CE requirements for the LUTCF/FSS. Now with this new one, you have to report ethics CE every 2 years.

I bet the College may start imposing a bi-annual recertification fee, just like with the $250 fee for CLU/ChFC earned since 2007. Even if they say they won't... everything is subject to change.

I find a lot of amusement in the re-certification process. My real degree from Syracuse never requires me to re-certify it. ;)

I find a lot of amusement in the re-certification process. My real degree from Syracuse never requires me to re-certify it. ;)

Don't go giving them any ideas. Real colleges are suffering from declining enrollment. If your numbers are dwindling, you have two options. Boost your numbers back up where they belong, or extract more revenue from each student. It looks like we know which one the American College choose.

Don't go giving them any ideas. Real colleges are suffering from declining enrollment. If your numbers are dwindling, you have two options. Boost your numbers back up where they belong, or extract more revenue from each student. It looks like we know which one the American College choose.

The problem with higher education is that they have became and end unto themselves. They exist to fund and propagate themselves. They are no longer about serving the students.

I started the CHFC or what ever it was waay back did about 3 or 4 classes worth. Then started to understand the alphabet after my name is only going to impress a small handful of people. This is a business of personalities more than anything else and we all fit somewhere out there. There are people who are amazed I have loyal clients in the same way I am amazed they do as well.

I am not saying don't do it or do it at all. It is a personal decision. If you're an a sshole to clients, it isn't going to matter that much what letters follow your name.

I am not saying don't do it or do it at all. It is a personal decision. If you're an a sshole to clients, it isn't going to matter that much what letters follow your name.

Just remember, even Rick has clients. One person's a-hole is another person's best bud.

So, adding a CE requirement to this probably isn't going to help, huh?

Good point. The ce requirement is stupid because almost every state requires ce to renew license. So the American College says that you must pay a filing fee for your ce courses. Of course if you were to take the courses with them then there is no filing fees, how kind.

I decided not to renew my NAIFA membership. It's a lot of money for something that I hardly use. They do have a lot of good materials, but it's not worth it to me. I was going to get my LUTCF, but again, it's pretty pricey. Not to mention, I really don't have the time to properly dedicate to it. I already have enough continuing education to complete. I've got to finish my NMLS cont ed before the end of the year too. Thanks but no thanks.

Apparently the story isn't over for the LUTCF. NAIFA and the College for Financial Planning are forming a new alliance now. You still have to be a NAIFA member to earn the LUTCF though.

Industry group launches financial planning program

My guess is that Dr. Larry Barton of The American College really screwed this one up as his final act as President and CEO of The American College before becoming "chairman" of the college. The next thing we'll know is that the CFFP (College for Financial Planning) will take over for the CLU and that will complete the screw-up and destroy Dr. Solomon Huebner's legacy curriculum at The American College.

With that logic, I guess the CLU is the next designation to be 're-branded'?

I PREDICTED THIS!!! The CLU link no longer works, nor is CLU listed as a designation in its menu under designations & degrees.

https://www.theamericancollege.edu/designations-degrees/CLU

I suppose if you want a designation specific to Life & Annuities... you'd need to get the LACP from NAIFA.

RIP CLU. After 90 years... no one really knew your value.

Back