New producer

Frankly, this is about the worst time in the worst place to get started in insurance. I've never seen it this bad. I don't think there is anyone alive today who has seen it this bad.

Frankly, this is about the worst time in the worst place to get started in insurance. I've never seen it this bad. I don't think there is anyone alive today who has seen it this bad.
I got into the insurance industry hoping to focus on commercial lines. I know that there are many limitations in those lines for captive agencies, but I figured I could start at State Farm to learn the industry as a whole before going independent. I am in need of some advice which I hope you or others could provide. This a broad question I know there is no right answer for but... Should I look for new opportunities at independent agencies/brokerages now? I feel like I am not learning what I set out to learn, with everything focused on life right now.

For insurance in general or specifically in P&C?
What makes you say this? I'm not necessarily disagreeing just curious

I can only speak for California, but the reason why is due to the large amount of losses the past few years, especially with the recent fires a few years ago that caused billions of losses for insurance companies here. With the increase in losses, insurance companies want to increase rates and use modern actuarial modeling for insurance, but due to state government restrictions, they aren't allowing the adequate rate increases and additional actuarial modeling needed. So as a solution to this problem, many insurance companies (State Farm, Farmers, AllState, etc.) are either nonrenewing or not accepting new business in the state.

I got into the insurance industry hoping to focus on commercial lines.

State Farm is one of the most limited as far as their commercial appetite.

This a broad question I know there is no right answer for but... Should I look for new opportunities at independent agencies/brokerages now? I feel like I am not learning what I set out to learn, with everything focused on life right now.

Learning p&c right now is like trying to learn to ski in an avalanche. During a blizzard. While being attacked by a small dog.

Frankly your best bet is probably to wait. Yeah, you could focus on and sell life, but selling life has little or nothing transferable to selling p&c.

Last edited:

P&C. Is this a serious question? Do you ever watch the news or read the papers? This thread was started by an agent working for the largest p&c carrier in the state, and they have stopped writing all lines of p&c insurance but one.

Latest posts

Back