NEW S.E.P. Events Released

Yagents

Guru
5000 Post Club
Arizona
Sign-Up Season Is Over, But List Of Special Enrollment Events Is Expanding | Kaiser Health News

The list of situations that trigger a special, 60-day enrollment period will get longer in April, when a new rule issued by the Department of Health and Human Services takes effect.

The rule’s additional circumstances include:

— Losing a dependent or dependent status because of divorce, legal separation or death. This provision would enable someone who no longer needs family coverage, for example, to switch to single coverage. Although not required until 2017, exchanges are encouraged to offer this as soon as possible.

— An increase in an individual’s income to the federal poverty level in states that haven’t expanded Medicaid to adults with incomes up to 138 percent of the federal poverty level ($16,243 in 2015). At that income level, the person could qualify for premium tax credits that are available for those with incomes between 100 and 400 percent of the poverty level to make marketplace coverage more affordable.
More from this series

Last year, such individuals could also qualify for a special enrollment period, “but we read this as a bit broader,” says Sarah Lueck, a senior policy analyst at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. Last year, “you had to have applied for Medicaid to qualify.” Now, that’s not necessary.

–If a court order requires someone to provide health insurance, the coverage must be available the first day the court order takes effect.
This KHN story can be republished for free (details).

“It’s extremely important for ensuring the coverage of children,” says Dania Palanker, senior counsel at the National Women’s Law Center.

–People who are currently enrolled in non-calendar year plans will qualify for a special enrollment period when that coverage ends, even if they could renew them.

Thank you oh wise one. Tell me how this plays out.

Employee quits job. Entitled to COBRA but would rather have his own coverage. Makes WAY more than 400% of FPL, not subsidy eligible. Wants to buy off the exchange.

SEP qualifying event or no?

Employee quits job. Entitled to COBRA but would rather have his own coverage. Makes WAY more than 400% of FPL, not subsidy eligible. Wants to buy off the exchange.

Somarco, Healthcare.gov says YES, employee is SEP eligible...

Life events that may qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period
Losing other health coverage
Examples of losing coverage
•Losing job-based coverage for any reason, including resigning, getting laid off, or getting fired

Ref: https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage-outside-open-enrollment/special-enrollment-period/

ac

Always been a SEP unless they elect COBRA, but who know's that may change with a blink of the eye or underwear, which ever come's first.

----------

–People who are currently enrolled in non-calendar year plans will qualify for a special enrollment period when that coverage ends, even if they could renew them.

The above was allowed last year for FB.

Yeah, I thought that was the case but confused myself by over-thinking. Voluntary loss of coverage (quitting the job) creates SEP as long as they don't sign up for COBRA.

Yeah, I thought that was the case but confused myself by over-thinking. Voluntary loss of coverage (quitting the job) creates SEP as long as they don't sign up for COBRA.

Or INVOLUNTARY. Those who get laid off or fired get the SEP, too :)

Last edited:
I'm on hold with marketplace.gov for the third time today.

So they've been sucking brain cells out. Cut me some slack.

Back