New to Insurance, but Feel Like It is Not for Me

Ok, you sound like you are full grown. So I hope you take this the right way. What the hell are you doing! Quit already! Why are you doing this? btw, what profession did you retire from?
I am still in training and I have to say I hate it. But i don't like the idea of quitting.

I retired from another profession, spent 5 years doing part time work and now I'm expected to put in long and late hours, essentially tricking people into letting me into their homes to sell them something they surely need.

My wife doesn't like the late hours and while I love working with people, it actually makes me sick to my stomach thinking about doing this for a living.

I'm a firm believer in following your passion. Sure, you could "learn" to like something and be good at it, but when you're really passionate about something, it never seems like work.

That said, you could look at it from another perspective and consider yourself an insurance person who is there not to "sell" insurance, but to help people with their goals. Maybe you'll find your purpose in that...

The company I hooked up with gives away freebies such as a small AD&D policy...that's how they get in the door. Then you present other 'benefits' such as the WL and hosp. insurance, mortgage insurance etc.

I retired from police work so I enjoy being outside, but I don't like the idea of driving 33000 miles in one year (as my trainer did last year). If I could work parttime it would make my life a bit easier, but this company expects everyone to do the max.

My wife wanted me to get a job with health insurance so she could retire before 70 which is why I pursued this.

I am intrigued, however, with how a senior can have more disposable income after talking with an agent.

.I am intrigued, however, with how a senior can have more disposable income after talking with an agent.

For the most part I sell Med Supps to people who already have a Med Supp. I show them that what I'm offering is a better investment of their premium dollar than what they currently have. In other words the plan I'm offering costs less per month than what they are currently paying.

Med Supps are standardized which means that there is no difference in them from one company to another. The only difference is in what each company charges for them.

There is no service work to speak of, claims are handled automatically. The agent is the "underwriter", if the prospect answers "no" to the appropriate health questions the company issues the policy. First year commissions are paid, in almost all states, for the first six years.

I have saved some seniors over $100 per month when they take a policy from me with no loss of benefits. There is no smoke or mirrors and the fingers never leave the hand. If I can't save them money they will not buy, it's that simple.

Give me a call if you would like and we can discuss it in greater detail.

Never do a job that you don't like or enjoy. If you find a job that you enjoy doing,,it wont be like work as much.

For the 1st poster...You are not stuck doing this..if you feel like this is not for you,,,dont do it..keep it simple..

Hey everyone,

I am a recent college graduate and have begun working for a captive agency in Texas. I have started a few marketing techniques, invested a few bucks here and there, but at the end of the day I feel like this industry is not for me.

I feel like I am locking myself into a profession at such a young age, and am not doing what I am really passionate about. I decided to get into insurance because I know a couple people who make a great living off of it, but never really thought about if I enjoy it.

Is it bad for me to want to get out of it so early? I am not a quitter and feel like I am going to be one if I leave.

Thanks for advice!

What lines are you selling?
Have you considered trying a different type of insurance?

I was miserable selling for EMG when I started, had no idea what I was doing, no training, selling crap products off expensive crap leads, but I love what I'm doing now, selling good products off cheap REALLY crap leads. I'm making a good amount of money with tons coming when I hit renewals.

I wouldn't suggest anyone start with a line other than Medicare now that I saw the difference between life and medicare and major med. I wouldn't really suggest working any way other than independent either, but the learning curve is really steep.

Hey everyone,

I am a recent college graduate and have begun working for a captive agency in Texas. I have started a few marketing techniques, invested a few bucks here and there, but at the end of the day I feel like this industry is not for me.

I feel like I am locking myself into a profession at such a young age, and am not doing what I am really passionate about. I decided to get into insurance because I know a couple people who make a great living off of it, but never really thought about if I enjoy it.

Is it bad for me to want to get out of it so early? I am not a quitter and feel like I am going to be one if I leave.

Thanks for advice!

DO WHAT YOU LOVE!!!! Don't spend your life in a job that you hate. Life is too short... I am totally opposite of you, I wish I would have begun this career much earlier. I absolutely love what I am doing.

Frank is right, senior sales are primarily 8-5 Monday through Friday. That is why I sell commercial and medicare supplements ONLY. I am with my family at nights and weekends, and having a blast during the day.

Don't chase money, chase a good life. The money will come. Don't get into the 80 hour a week rat race, don't do things that will compromise your morals, don't do anything that will destroy your family, and most of all, do what is pleasing to God. Give a few hours a week volunteering, this will change your whole perspective on life.

Live today, like you are going to die tomorrow....

Last edited:
I would definitely find something that you are passionate about. Actually, "passion" is overrated. Find something that you somewhat enjoy.

I find that when you find something that allows you to truly help people, and you can see the results of your help in a person's life, you become "passionate."

Brandon

There is no question to be a quitter. This can be a bless in disguise that you start doing with insurance such early. You can gather knowledge at early. Its good to hear that u r not a quitter. So keep urself energised all the time and try to move upwards.

If you leave because you don't enjoy it then your smart, not a quitter. Find a carreer you'll enjoy. If you leave because your not making enough sales, and therefor enough money, then you have to look in the mirror and ask yourself if you are really putting forth the effort you should. If the answer is yes, then this business just may not be a good fit. If you aren't putting in 100% though, then you should stay and at least do that for at least a month or two. And when I say 100%, I don't mean spending 60 hours a week at the office doing nothing. I mean that the hours you are supposed to be prospecting, you do NOTHING but prospecting. That's a big thing I saw with new agents when I was a trainer with a captive company. They'd be at the office from 8am to 8pm, but, they'd play games on the computer, talk to other agents, go on 1/2 hour smoke breaks, 2 hour lunches, "study" products. Anything but what they should be doing--prospecting. I don't care how much you know, if you aren't sitting in front of enough people each week, you'll fail.

Back