New to Insurance Industry

Many people work part time if you are only working as a 100% commissioned sales agent, then you will have the flexabilty to do so. If you work for an agent as a sales agent producer and he pays you hourly plus commission you wont have much time to work another job. I would try and find a job as a commission only sales agent or producer, that way you can learn the business and have some flexabilty, which will alleviate some stress in my opinion. Learn the business then go independent.

I don't know about AFLAC but Colonial is not captive. They have two appointment structures. One is an 'agent' agreement that is rather restrictive in it's non-compete clause but not captive. The other is their 'broker' agreement which I signed which says nothing about selling competing products, etc. They know that I am appointed by other (health) carriers and that I will continue to sell those products in addition to Colonial's workplace supps (which are sometimes called "mini-meds" but from what I understand... really aren't.)

What IS the definition of 'mini-meds' as opposed to workplace "voluntary benefits"?

Al

Aflac is not captive.

- Can you start in this industry working part-time?

Yes you can, however you will not get the most out of this experience.

- What companies offer a good core for learning?

There are many companies out there with a great learning program, however you will have to do the due diligence of studying/researching yourself to obtain the experience.

- What companies to stay away from/scams?

Any company who asks you to pay prior to employment is multi-level marketing. Some succeed, most don't. And those who tell their story of success within this field, are probably not 100% truthful.

Back