New to industry. Please help.

mcastillero3

Miami
Hi everyone,

I have had my license (health/life/VA) for a couple of years as a side hustle while I worked full time as a teacher. During this time, I have only helped a few family members with Medicare plans.

I have decided to transition out of teaching and will be going all-in into the insurance industry.

I need advice on how to best approach the industry. Knowing what you know, how would you start your insurance career if you had to start it all over again? Would you focus on Medicare, ACA, life?

I'm not sure where to focus. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

@marktheboker and @ Al3x Lee Aside from wanting the gorgeous hair and spiffy cape.....

I've been teaching for a while now and I'm ready for a change. My school always had a good culture and good kids, but this year a bunch of students with discipline issues have transferred in and administration either doesn't know how to handle it or refuses to address the issues leaving the teachers to fend for themselves without any real "weapons" at their disposal. In teaching, if the parents/administration don't back you, you're pretty much up the creek without a paddle.
Even when things were going well, I always had a little voice gnawing at me that I could be doing more. When I consider my options, I like that in insurance there are residual payments. I just do not know how best to proceed. I'd love to find a mentor to show me the ropes.

He saw my gorgeous hair and spiffy cape and decided he wanted to be like me. Duh.
@marktheboker and @ Al3x Lee Aside from wanting the gorgeous hair and spiffy cape.....

Mark, no one can ever be like you. Gorgeous hair and spiffy capes are god given gifts. He could be like me though, all he has to do is purchase a Delorean. :) Once I figure out where the time travel button is on this thing, I'm going to use it to go to a decade where the P&C market doesn't suck.

but this year a bunch of students with discipline issues have transferred in and administration either doesn't know how to handle it or refuses to address the issues leaving the teachers to fend for themselves without any real "weapons" at their disposal. In teaching, if the parents/administration don't back you, you're pretty much up the creek without a paddle.
Even when things were going well, I always had a little voice gnawing at me that I could be doing more. When I consider my options, I like that in insurance there are residual payments. I just do not know how best to proceed. I'd love to find a mentor to show me the ropes.

Maybe teaching and insurance aren't so different after all! Just replace students with customers, administrators with agency principals, and parents with underwriters and you'll be right at home.

A mentor would definitely be wise. I'm health and life licensed, but the majority of my business is commercial P&C. Mark is also a P&C guy, so we might not have the best advice on the lines you're looking to sell.

One thing that is common amongst all lines of insurance is the difficulty of succeeding. Most agents fail in their first 3 years. This is usually due to lack of knowledge, running out of money or running out of leads, all of which a good mentor could help you with.

Do you know anyone who sells the products you're trying to sell and has been successful? That might be a good place to start. It sounds like you already know that's the first step.

Hi everyone,

I have had my license (health/life/VA) for a couple of years as a side hustle while I worked full time as a teacher. During this time, I have only helped a few family members with Medicare plans.

I have decided to transition out of teaching and will be going all-in into the insurance industry.

I need advice on how to best approach the industry. Knowing what you know, how would you start your insurance career if you had to start it all over again? Would you focus on Medicare, ACA, life?

I'm not sure where to focus. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Do Not. I forbid you . . .

Back