New to Insurance-Transferring to Another State?

set731

I live in Florida and am taking my prelicensing courses now. I am planning to open a branch of our family's insurance business in North Carolina. I will only be writing NC policies, but am confused as to how I should take my tests. I am in Florida for another 6 months, do I take my exams and try to get as a "nonresident license" for North Carolina while still in Florida and not even worry about a resident Florida license...not sure if I can even do that. Or do I need to get a resident Florida license then once I move to NC get a resident NC license. I want to be able to write NC policies while in Florida before I move up in February. Any ideas? Is a nonresident license limited ?

To be honest I always get confused about all the non-resident stuff. I was in a similar situation only I was living in Florida and moving to Michigan. Check this website www myfloridacfo com/agents/ for the transfer requirements and call NC as well to ask what they accept for the license you want there.

I would probably call the North Carolina commisioner and find out what the requirements are to transfer an existing license from one state to the next.

I'm currently licensed in VA and looking to transfer it to Florida and they told me that I had to have my license for AT LEAST a year to transfer it (and skip their state exam!).

Therefore, I'm thinking that you're going to have difficulty taking a newly acquired license and transfering it to another state.

If you're going to be a resident of North Carolina...you should probably have a residents license. Since you haven't taken your state exam yet, it's probably better for you to take the North Carolina state exam instead. This way, you'll have a resident license for North Carolina and you can always apply for a non-resident license for Florida if you'd like....

Back