New to Life Insurance....Tired of Cold Calling

>>I'm paid about 22k in salary and 25 bucks for every life policy I sell...

That is the problem. No skin in the game. They need to reduce your salary and increase your commissions. You will make more sales. Top Raman gets old.

>>to have a drink and get over the fact that getting into the insurance business will require me to spend 1092409185097$%^?++ hours on the phone initially harrassing the **** out of these people I want to help.

LMAO I feel you. 25 years later.

>>And I love my pillow, I will never scream at it

Then you have not made enough calls yet.

A suggestion: join the ILIAA.org plug into Nick's webinars. Also Insurance training and education. The premier resource guide for insurance agents including product and service guides. looks promising.

Send me your email or fax and I will send you the quote sheet I use.

Good Luck,

Lee

OK ok first and foremost I'm paid about 22k in salary and 25 bucks for every life policy I sell (this is an extremely loose agency, I've only seen the 25 bucks from 3 of the policies i've sold.)

I'm going to review this information but I took a break between this post and the sugar bowl to have a drink and get over the fact that getting into the insurance business will require me to spend 1092409185097$%^?++ hours on the phone initially harrassing the **** out of these people I want to help.

Thx a bunch and any more info will be much obliged!

And I love my pillow, I will never scream at it.

Vol bro I'm not giving up. I told this man that I'm going to be selling 10 policies a month so that's what I'm going to do. That's not much scratch I'll give you that but this is TN we're talking about. You don't really need much to get by... If I join another company I might not be selling as good of a product as I am now.

I want to take care of people up and down so my only choices are farm bureau (which doesn't exist in alot of states) Eerie, progressive and geico. All of those guys combined don't have the net worth that SF does...Therefore if my area gets hit with a massive tornado, I don't want to cherry pick and figure out how to get by. I want to write checks. I want to find a hotel room for the families. God forbid they are killed I'm going to pay for their funerals and be with their families.

Sorry I've had a few drinks.

Yeah if this kid will make all those calls for $25. First time he makes a couple Grand off of a call. He is really going to love that pillow.:biggrin:

That puts things into perspective. Quit in the morning. You are making this guy his bonus and getting him his contract, if he is too cheap to pay you to sell, find someone who will.

If you really want to sell life insurance, find the local Mass Mutual, New York Life, Northwestern Mutual or MetLife office. Interview the managers and see who is really going to work with you to teach you the business. Don't accept just the project 200 as a marketing program. As young as you are, your friends are broke, and their parents remember you as the kid who cleaned out the fridge when you were over.

Vol bro I'm not giving up. I told this man that I'm going to be selling 10 policies a month so that's what I'm going to do. That's not much scratch I'll give you that but this is TN we're talking about. You don't really need much to get by... If I join another company I might not be selling as good of a product as I am now.

That is complete and utter bs fed to you by State Farm. I also live in TN. There are plenty of good life companies and P&C companies in TN. Wino and I are life agents, so we are looking at it from a life focus, but if you like P&C, there are good agencies in TN that are looking for a good producer.

And I didn't tell you to give up, I told you to ditch this loser. $25 a policy for life simply isn't worth it. Tell him you want at least 30% of the premium as commission plus your current salary, if not, go elsewhere. Even the mutuals pay 45%+, and give you bonuses and a salary or bonus when starting.

I want to take care of people up and down so my only choices are farm bureau (which doesn't exist in alot of states) Eerie, progressive and geico. All of those guys combined don't have the net worth that SF does...Therefore if my area gets hit with a massive tornado, I don't want to cherry pick and figure out how to get by. I want to write checks. I want to find a hotel room for the families. God forbid they are killed I'm going to pay for their funerals and be with their families.

Again, complete BS from State Farm. These people aren't going to be left high and dry. If you really believe TN is going to let undercapitalized companies do business here you need to stop drinking the company kool-aid. State Farm and Allstate are two of the largest out there, go ask the people in Texas, New Orleans and Florida how they get treated by them both. Policyholders get left high and dry at claim time, not because the company can't pay the claim, but because the company has a habit of fighting claims.

Ok Vol. First of all we got screwed in the Music City bowl. Second of all I didn't get on this thread to jump ship. You have my attention on all this but just ask Macon Co. who was there when tornadoes hit 2 years ago. State Farm was. Farm bureau was looking for aid from the government to help bulldoze the houses off of peoples properties and my agent was walking house to house that morning. THATS WHAT I WANT. If Allstate or Farm Bureau or whoever will give me the opportunity to take care of those people I'll be there.

I've just heard so many stories already from our clientel about how my agent was there the whole time. They respect that man like a brother. I've always heard that the insurance is as good as the agent and this has to be some of the best insurance in the state.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
And when it comes to life insurance. Have either of you guys even been to a funeral? Where you there for the families or did you cut a check from the agency? I understand that getting the appointments is a numbers game but claims aren't.

Of course I have no clue yet.

Last edited:
I've just heard so many stories already from our clientel about how my agent was there the whole time. They respect that man like a brother. I've always heard that the insurance is as good as the agent and this has to be some of the best insurance in the state.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
And when it comes to life insurance. Have either of you guys even been to a funeral? Where you there for the families or did you cut a check from the agency? I understand that getting the appointments is a numbers game but claims aren't.

Of course I have no clue yet.

I learned that from my grandfather, an old debit life agent, your insurance is only as good as your agent.

I don't care if you leave or not, but don't let them feed you bs. While I am independent, I work with a local P&C shop, mainly commercial. Trust me, the agency owner will go to bat for a client in a heartbeat.

I haven't delivered a death claim yet, I am working on one, but our client isn't the beneficiary. The bene is in a compromising situation, so I'm not sure what we are going to do. But I plan to deliver each one personally, if they want me at the funeral, I'll attend. If not, I won't.

Again, I am a life guy. Find me a single valid death claim that wasn't paid and we'll talk. It just doesn't happen, I've heard that A.L. Williams, Primerica, denied some, but I have no proof. Sure, death claims get contested, usually for a good reason, but if it is valid it gets paid. I'd say the same for most P&C claims.

But what you need to do is become as big a believer in life insurance as you are in State Farm. Once you believe, and you own, others will see, and it will help some. I suggest you look into State Farm's 15 pay whole life. I'd wear it out selling it to parents and grandparents for the kids. It will be an easy sale and you'll get the app count up and get some money rolling in.

Your easiest sale is always going to be to someone who already owns life insurance. You don't have to convince them why they should own it, just why they need to buy from you today.

As to the Music City bowl, that is what happens when you don't win. Never leave it up to the zebras to decide the game. Make the extra point and play defense and the third team never gets to play a role.

OK. I have paid out some death claims been to a few of their funerals. Have you...you just started?

I am an IA with Allstate. I can tell you that this guy has given you a B S contract. I have 9 people that work between my two agencies and I would love to find someone who would write policies for $25.00...HELL I pay my CSR's $25 to ask people if they would like a life quote if they can get people in front of me and I get the policy issued. I have a guy I pay just about as much as you get and I give him 50% of anything he issues. I think you need to sit down and talk to him regarding your pay. If you got more than 25 you may not mind picking up the phone. The last policy I issued I made about $2,700 off of! I would love for someone to have issues something like that for me and have given them $25.00...

>>Have either of you guys even been to a funeral?

I gave personally delivered millions of dollars in death claims. I would bet multiples of what most any State Farm Agent. I have also delivered hundreds of thousands in Accelerated Death benefits.

>>Where you there for the families....

I am an Independent agent. I am not captive. No company's name is on my card. If Pru is wrong for my client, I move them to another company. A captive agent can only go so far against the Boss that signs his check. He has to follow their rules.

I have insured many people that captive agents walk out the door as "uninsurable" Who did right by them? Me or the captive agent?

Let's take a healthy Male age 45 pref non that needs as much Life insurance as he can get for $100 per month to protect his family.

What could State Farm do for him, in say a 30 year term?
How about a lifetime guaranteed death benefit?
Do they sell their clients any non guaranteed death benefit policies?

>>Of course I have no clue yet.

Word!

Look man, I like your passion. But I spank State Farm Life regularly. Good at P&C (I have USAA)But Life?:nah: They only have State Farm. Go to Term4Sale.com - Term life insurance comparisons (over 100 companies) and see what I can do.

If you are going the SF route awesome. Good company.

I have insured many people that captive agents walk out the door as "uninsurable" Who did right by them? Me or the captive agent?

Goodneighbor, I'll take every "uninsurable" you have. Macon County isn't close to me, but if they have the means to pay, I can find them something. And I'll pay you a heck of a lot more than $25 for each one sold.

Forget cold calling. It rarely pays off and you look desperate to the people you are calling. A better approach is to do things to get them to call you. Send out mailers, advertise, or offer free policy reviews. Get creative!

That all sounds great until we get to the specifics. Where do you advertise? What is the ROI? How many deals/premium dollars does it generate a month? If you have a consistent work horse that would make this business easier for me, I want to know about it. Until then, I will stick with the proven methods, but they do require work and rejection.

Back