Non Standard Auto Carriers Appointments

Lucy Lanier

No experience in Property and Casualty. What is the best way to get experience in P&C. My Goal is to support the non-standard auto community as well. Life and Health sales experience.

Best way is to go to work for someone and learn the business from inside an agency. Then do not focus on non-standard because you will find that you spend the majority of your week chasing premium. There are people who have had a mishap which placed them in non-standard but the majority are there because they have been cancelled for non payment of premium

Not on my cell so I can leave a better explanation. Non standard insured might be there because they were dropped over tickets or claims and need something so that their vehicle can stay on the road. They are generally grateful when you can help but will leave in a heartbeat as soon as they can get a better rate. I have had DUI convicted drivers curse ME out because they feel that their conviction and non-renewal is someone else's fault and will shop their rate every month. Non-standard for nonpay always have an excuse for being late, that is why they were cancelled in the first place. You don't need the chargeback hassle from your carriers over this bunch. There are people who you will bust your hump for because no one will insure and find out by month 2 or 3 why no one wanted to help

Go work for a captive agency for six months, even it if is beneath you and you are not paid what you deserve. The larger the better. Take notes, ask lots of questions, make lots of friends = think of it as one long networking session.

Leave on exceptionally good terms and tell them you want to start your own shop up for "non standard auto insurance." If you did things correctly, you will have 'some' experience and for a potential for leads from your old employer.

While you are doing this, you can research more about starting your own shop. Website, Brick and Mortar, Carriers, Office Space, etc. There may be a fine (legal and otherwise) line between doing this legitimately and potentially being in violation of some sort of employment rules.

You might just come away from your 6 month networking session believing that you no longer wish to do this and that is 100% AOK. You may find out you wish to do something very different from your original plan, or you might discover your plan was correct to begin with. Regardless you will now have a tiny bit of experience in this endeavor.

Best of Luck

Last edited:
Back