Notary Cross-Selling

Hi guys,

Got a question for ya...I'm a notary and I do about 3-5 loan document signings per week, so I get to meet homeowners who just saved money on their mortgage. How would you go about getting them as a client?

I was thinking that I would fact-find thru casual conversation throughout the signing then bring it up at the very end.

Definitely going to create a website and business cards to pass out.

If you guys were in this position, how would you guys capitalize on this opportunity?

your feedback is appreciated :biggrin:

****can you please move this thread to the life insurance forum..I realized after I created this thread that it should probably be in the life insurance thread and I can't seem to delete this thread, thanks!*****

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Got a question for ya...I'm a notary and I do about 3-5 loan document signings per week, so I get to meet homeowners who just saved money on their mortgage. How would you go about getting them as a client?

How do you get the clients for the loan signings?

Seriously, if a notary started pitching me insurance at the closing, I would tell the lender to find another notary.

I'm there for a closing, not so the notary can conduct an insurance fact-finder. There is a time and a place for everything and a closing is definitely not the place for the notary to go looking for insurance business.

Seriously, if a notary started pitching me insurance at the closing, I would tell the lender to find another notary.

I'm there for a closing, not so the notary can conduct an insurance fact-finder. There is a time and a place for everything and a closing is definitely not the place for the notary to go looking for insurance business.

Vol is right..what opportunity are you talking about maybe notary is a big business, but notary fee in Arizona is $2 fee.

I do notary at my office but I do let the client know that our office is insurance office if they ever need insurance. I have sold a few policies out of that and I offer free notary to current clients.;):yes::SLEEP:

Sales71, a signing agent is not "just a notary" you charges $2. A signing agent handles closing documents for mortgage companies and charge between $80 - $120 per signing.

Mr Nguyen617, not cool to go to closing soliciting your business. My suggestion would be to get yourself a pair of magnets and place on side of your car, with your phone number especially visible. If asked, "do you sell insurance", your answer can be, "I'm here to handle your closing, if you want to know about insurance, you can call the number on the car". It works for me... I want mortgage companies to keep calling me for closings and that means me not harrassing their clients.

I’m sorry but I disagree that it’s a bad idea or in bad taste to bring up the insurance aspect when having them sign loan contracts. It’s all about HOW you approach it. When the paperwork is signed, you could simply ask if they’ve taken out mortgage payments protection? If they haven’t you could simply show them some options then and there, and afterwards just follow up with them. I don’t think it’s a bad way to approach things

Hi guys,

I was thinking that I would fact-find thru casual conversation throughout the signing then bring it up at the very end.

Definitely going to create a website and business cards to pass out.

If you guys were in this position of notary near me, how would you guys capitalize on this opportunity?

your feedback is appreciated :biggrin:

****can you please move this thread to the life insurance forum..I realized after I created this thread that it should probably be in the life insurance thread and I can't seem to delete this thread, thanks!*****
hello, I am applying to take my small pension but I have to get my signature witnessed as being met by someone. this wouldn’t be a problem but they will only accept someone from a list of jobs and I don’t know any notary public, civil servants, priests, or teachers. judges etc. Does anyone have any ideas? I can’t be the only person this sort of thing affects. thanks in advance

hello, I am applying to take my small pension but I have to get my signature witnessed as being met by someone. this wouldn’t be a problem but they will only accept someone from a list of jobs and I don’t know any notary public, civil servants, priests, or teachers. judges etc. Does anyone have any ideas? I can’t be the only person this sort of thing affects. thanks in advance
Google for “notary public near me”.

I would check with my bank or credit union for a Notary Public.

You could go to a Kinkos or UPS store. Most have notaries.

It's like $5.

Back