NYL, NML or PRU - new to industry

prop312

Newbie here

Been trolling around in the forums for awhile. Trying to learn basics of insurance industry - I am coming from a financial background (buy side) and I have 3 offers. I have a medium sized network of professional individuals and a handful or large business owners. Most in their mid 30s to mid 40s.

NYL - Top 5 office in america each of the last 3 years - very intense culture and male dominant. Seems like these guys are printing money here, or at least the top guys are.

NML - Suburban North Shore office that is slowly moving towards lots of wealth management. The managing partner here is more a money manager than insurance salesman. Seems like the culture of NML in this particular office is more about finance than insurance - could also be BS.

Prudential - Seems like a gunslingers paradise. Attraction here is there seems to be the least amount of structure.

If anyone could speak to each firms positives and negatives - especially if they are in or around the Chicago area.

Thanks in advance.

Of the three you mentioned, I would pick Prudential for one reason: they have variable annuities with lifetime income benefit riders. Yes, you'd need your series 6 & 63 to sell them, but most other mutual insurance companies don't focus on that market (from what I've seen). Also, it's *possible* that you can still work with your clients after you leave because you can broker Prudential's products.

I've heard good things about New York Life's online video training, but I haven't seen it. It's supposed to be a very good resource.

Can't tell you much about Northwestern Mutual, except that you can probably expect it to be a structured environment as Al Granum's One Card System was created with them in the Chicago office.

The Legacy of Al Granum | The American College Northwestern Mutual Granum Center for Financial Security

However, all of that is just mechanics. I'd go for the agency culture and training as the true differentiating factors.

Out of those 3, Prudential hands down. They have the most aggressive/lenient underwriting pretty much in the whole industry, not to mention one of the best annuities on the market as DHK stated. NWM & NYL are much tougher on underwriting and Pru's products are generally priced more favorably

Thanks for the advice guys. I chose prudential based on product offerings and my direct manager. He was very open and honest about attrition, training and office culture; also was the most technologically adept and seemed to push for use of tech to capture and maintain clients. I will post periodically about my experience.

Back