Obama Care Resource

November 10, 2014

Want to know why, and at what 2015 income, your state's Marketplace punishes children by sentencing them to Medicaid and/or CHIP?

Go to: Medicaid and CHIP Marketplace Interactions | Medicaid.gov Click on your state to learn more.

Unfortunately, this didn't help me figure out the convoluted set of rules for not allowing children on their parent's Marketplace plan in Illinois, but you might have better luck!
Allen

Oh, Allen that is very good information. Not sure I understood it all (or even most, LOL), but I saved it to read later.

OK.............So AC for ONE FREAKIN CASE................you are going to go through all this trouble for ...........What?.....Nothing............nothing......why are you even posting this garbage?

Relax HouCoogster. You're in a state that is unaffected by Medicaid expansion and therefore have not endured its agonies. I should have added the disclaimer, "This post does not apply if you are in a state that did not expand Medicaid.".

I'll go back and add it now. Better late than never! :yes:
ac

The "sweet spot" of Obamacare is someone who gets a 94% plan in a non medicaid expansion sate. Premiums is cheap, OOP is $500, and they get a private insurance carrier/network vs crappy medicaid.

My other question is..........why didn't the middle class show up to the party in the numbers below? Maybe cuz only the rich and the poor benefit the most from ACA?

Full report: http://aspe.hhs.gov/health/reports/2015/MarketPlaceEnrollment/Mar2015/ib_2015mar_enrollment.pdf

---------
Implementing Health Reform: March Enrollment Report Provides Income Data (Updated) – Health Affairs Blog

The most interesting aspect of the report, however, is that it the first ASPE report to include income data on enrollees. One of the biggest unanswered questions about marketplace enrollment has been how many individuals are receiving cost-sharing reduction payments.

For the 2015 open enrollment period, 80 percent of households enrolled in federally facilitated marketplaces had incomes of 250 percent of poverty or less and 65 percent had incomes at or below 200 percent. In states that have not implemented the Medicaid expansion, 50 percent of enrollees had incomes at or below 150 percent of poverty and 23 percent between 150 and 200 percent. In expansion states, 24 percent of enrollees were at or below 150 percent of poverty and 32 percent between 150 and 200 percent of poverty. Of individuals enrolled through healthcare.gov, 87 percent received financial assistance (including presumably virtually everyone below 250 percent of poverty), and 74 percent of those who received financial assistance chose silver plans.

More proof of the UN-affordable care act if you 60 yr old middle class American with income above 400% FPL. Check out page 37.

Very telling.

If I'm thinking correctly, The darkest blue areas also represent the most tax credits available if under 400 FPL Winners and Losers, who's ready to play the income game?

http://www.gao.gov/assets/670/669165.pdf

How PPACA squeezes moderately high income 60-year-olds | LifeHealthPro

The article is about unaffordability based on income, for the unsubsidized population. And it focuses on a 60-year-old. However, it misses a lot of points about real life. In the law, the subsidy is based on income, without an asset test. But in real life, people make decisions based on SPENDABLE money. A 60-year-old at 400% of FPL typically has a lot more spendable money than a 30-year-old at 400% of FPL. Their mortgage is less, overall spending is less, they have cash in the bank, assets, etc. They also place a higher value on quality healthcare and are less likely to go uninsured than the 30-year-old. In real life, I don't have 400%+ 60-year-olds going uninsured or choosing HMOs. At least here in AZ.

A 30-year-old drops $800 on a stereo unit, and a 60-year-old would not. A 60-year-old installs $15,000 of tile and new carpet in his house and a 30-year-old has linoleum. Spendable money, and value of the item being purchased are very important.

Look at how regional this is. Compare TX, MN, and much of New England where the map is light blue vs most of the rest of the country!

Back