Objections Overruled

Rob - I would recommend buying an attorney lunch one day, pay him $400 and find out the difference between distribution rights and copyright rights.

All of your examples are distribution violations. Nobody is disagreeing with you on that front. It is, as far as what attorneys have told me, perfectly legal to 'lend' a copyrighted material to someone, but it has to follow the 'like a book' usage model, i.e., I can't use it while they have it.

I challenge you to find a single court case where somebody loaned a single individual a copyrighted work, the second person used it, returned it to the original 'owner' (not copyright holder) and the 'owner' got sued successfully.

You are right, I can't publish it on a website, where many people could read it at the same time (not like a book).

What you are thinking the law is and what it really is seems to be two different things.

Dan

Nope, I have not heard of Bittersweet Symphony. Verve must not be a metal band.

Rob, if you invested the money to publish an actual book (hard copy) this entire conversation would be moot, no?

I don't see anyone requesting your materials Bob, do you?

:nah:
Amazing how some people have such a high opinion of the worth of their material, most of which is rehashed concepts taken from others.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
You're talking about the enforcing of the law, not the law itself. Again we're talking in the digital domain not simply borrowing a book and returning, but the transmittal of the e-book is the issue, that's exactly why the new laws apply.

Also, the following reasons are why e-book security measures are now being put into place.

There are four main ways that people steal or share files:

1. By locating the download link and downloading the ebook without paying. 2. By purchasing the ebook and then sharing it with all their friends, family, and coworkers. 3. By purchasing the ebook, but then demanding a refund even though they keep & continue to use the product. 4. By obtaining a free copy of the ebook from another source, such as a friend, newsgroup, forum, ebay, etc.

e-book security programs prevent every one of these illegal attempts to steal your product. It works by blocking access to illegal copies, forcing people to purchase your product or they simply will not be able to use it.

Rob - I would recommend buying an attorney lunch one day, pay him $400 and find out the difference between distribution rights and copyright rights.

All of your examples are distribution violations. Nobody is disagreeing with you on that front. It is, as far as what attorneys have told me, perfectly legal to 'lend' a copyrighted material to someone, but it has to follow the 'like a book' usage model, i.e., I can't use it while they have it.

I challenge you to find a single court case where somebody loaned a single individual a copyrighted work, the second person used it, returned it to the original 'owner' (not copyright holder) and the 'owner' got sued successfully.

You are right, I can't publish it on a website, where many people could read it at the same time (not like a book).

What you are thinking the law is and what it really is seems to be two different things.

Dan

Here ya go!

Nope, I have not heard of Bittersweet Symphony. Verve must not be a metal band.

Rob, if you invested the money to publish an actual book (hard copy) this entire conversation would be moot, no?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob you're too susceptible to trolling. There are easier ways to deal with cyberbullying than giving them what they want.

Ha ha, the difference is that the trolls don't get to me like they get to Charlie Sheen!

Rob you're too susceptible to trolling. There are easier ways to deal with cyberbullying than giving them what they want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back