Objections Overruled

So:

1) I send someone a copy of the pdf "book."
2) I won't read it at the same time therefore it's the only copy being read.
3) The person deletes the copy after reading.
4) I once again own my copy of the pdf.
5) Rob get's pissed off and sues me for his actual loss.
6) Rob spends thousands of dollars.
7) The book is back in my electronic library and the copy has been deleted.

Sounds like it's worth pursuing. Does he sue in NY or in CA where the actual "crime" was committed?

How much time and money will he spend losing the case?

Rick

P.S. Anyone else want to borrow a copy of the book that I own?

So:

I've not kept up with the latest electronic copyright issues. I only know hardcopy books as that is all I've ever published.

My bet is that you can't send someone a COPY of the PDF. You have to send them the original. Of course it ends being a copy, so I would assume to keep within the spirit and letter of the law you would have to delete the version you have once you have sent it off to someone.

AANAL and YYVM.

Al

First the Huffington post cannot take any article they want, they must get permission, this is why the word "sharing" is used in the description of aggregation (since it is promotion for the original author, celebrity, etc they likely get permission often enough).

If they can take whatever they want and republish it then why would the Daytona Beach News Journal have the following on their site?

Q: Can I reprint a News-Journal article or photograph on my Web site?

A: No. Anything that appears in News-Journal Online is copyrighted and may not be reprinted, archived or distributed without express permission.

After reading that would you think that Huffington post can simply take an article from The Daytona News and re-post it? No, If they did it anyway will they get sued? Maybe, you'd never know would you? You'd only know if you broke the law, got caught and got sued.

(source: Frequently Asked Questions - Daytona Beach News-Journal)

Also, the laws differ dependent upon the media. The digital domain is a different animal and laws are still evolving to protect the copyright owners. This is why the war rages about MP3's, it's digital and does not fall under first use or first sale doctrine.

Under the "first sale doctrine" of copyright law (US Code 17 USC 109), you can publicly display and sell your copy of a copyrighted work that you legally obtained. So you can buy and sell used CDs, LPs, 45s, 78s, 8-track, cassettes, DAT, video tapes, home movies, DVDs, floppies, memory sticks, zip disks, memory cards, etc.

However it's not legal to sell a CD you made yourself, whether from iTunes or any other source, because that's equivalent to copying and re-distributing music that you don't have the rights to give to anyone else.

Those WOW music CD's you see have to pay royalties to all parties involved, and those parties involved allow the WOW company to "share" the music likely because it earns them money and exposure.

What happens if you do something without permission?

Have you heard the song Bittersweet Symphony by the Verve? The song borrowed a looped sample of a symphonic recording of the Rolling Stones song "The Last Time". Allen Klein controls the songwriting copyright for the Rolling Stones' back catalogue, and he had warned The Verve against using the Stones sample in "Bitter Sweet Symphony." He successfully sued The Verve for 100% of the royalties for the song. 100%!! They made nothing off of their biggest hit record because they did not get permission.

It's okay Rick, you're only bold because you, like most people, are ignorant to the fact that sharing or reselling an ebook that they purchased is illegal and a violation of copyright law.

My e-book is protected under the US Copyright Act and all other applicable international, federal, state and local laws, and all rights are reserved, including resale rights: you are not allowed to give it or sell it to anyone else. If you do, you've created a pirated copy.

So:

2) I won't read it at the same time therefore it's the only copy being read.
3) The person deletes the copy after reading.
4) I once again own my copy of the pdf.
5) Rob get's pissed off and sues me for his actual loss.
6) Rob spends thousands of dollars.
7) The book is back in my electronic library and the copy has been deleted.

Sounds like it's worth pursuing. Does he sue in NY or in CA where the actual "crime" was committed?

How much time and money will he spend losing the case?

Rick

P.S. Anyone else want to borrow a copy of the book that I own?

It's okay Rick, you're only bold because you, like most people, are ignorant to the fact that sharing or reselling an ebook that they purchased is illegal and a violation of copyright law.

My e-book is protected under the US Copyright Act and all other applicable international, federal, state and local laws, and all rights are reserved, including resale rights: you are not allowed to give it or sell it to anyone else. If you do, you've created a pirated copy.

Okay Rob. I'll call you on this.

I just emailed the pdf to my son. Sue me.

Rick

Amazing how some people have such a high opinion of the worth of their material, most of which is rehashed concepts taken from others.

Back