Opinions on what is expected with the final rule for Medicare

I could see what would happen when Obamacare passed in 2010 and figured I had 4 years to remain in the market or transition to something else. Had I not shifted when I did my income would have dropped to almost zero within 3 years. By adding Medicare in the mix those commissions were rising (all as earned) while my U65 comp was dropping.

Overall, my income was steady from 2014 on and around 2018 started to rise again.

The marketplace software was a complete mess the first 3 years, maybe longer. Almost all of my client base would pay the full, unsubsidized premium so I saw no reason to do anything but maintain existing clients as long as I could, at least until their pre-2014 plans were cancelled.

I hated to lose those relationships but at that point, the U65 market would have been a hobby, not a profitable business model, and I didn't need another hobby.

I began my transition a little sooner. As soon as it was evident that ACA was passing, I started focusing more on Medicare. I still did some ACA stuff, but as carriers began pulling out of the market, I felt it was pointless. Every time I would talk to someone, very few of their doctors were in the network. We had doctors offices telling patients they weren't accepting Marketplace plans. It just wasn't worth dealing with for $10 per month. Then, God forbid you had someone lose group coverage or turn 26 outside of open enrollment. If you enrolled them you didn't get paid.

I agree aca super easy to write and rarely get calls . But persistency is horrid over a multi yr time frame if you’ve used leads to built your book . Young people drop like butter as they get jobs and aca is a pit stop . Same thing with some family people who might rent it till they get a job . The best mkt is 55-60 yr old retired or self employed family people .Also yes Ambetter supposedly has Aor lock but other CO’s don’t and tons of flipping still going on . Yes it’s nice side money but Medicare much much stable . I have many friends who sell and we all have the same agreement
Most of the successful agents I work with have a few referral sources where they may not have great persistency but they always have new business. I would think that working ACA leads would get exhausting.

I explained the difference in integrated dsnp above . Well you’ll be super busy come aep moving people getting pdp premiums doubled or more . Also med sup premiums up 10-20% . Your forgetting about the huge changes about to hit sup and pdp premiums .2025 aep is more about protecting your book than writing new . Just curious where are you getting all these leads for your Loa’s ? I assure you if it’s any type of non t-65 social media , direct mail etc it’s mostly lower income and mapd land .
1. Part of the IRA Part D changes includes a “sort of” 6% cap on premium changes.
2. We will be just fine and focused on MAPD and ACA

But please tell me more about how to run a business when you haven’t even read up on the changes that passed 2 years ago.

(I actually don’t care if you can read or not. I DO care when you make idiotic statements about things you clearly know nothing about and confuse newbies)

1. Part of the IRA Part D changes includes a “sort of” 6% cap on premium changes.
2. We will be just fine and focused on MAPD and ACA

But please tell me more about how to run a business when you haven’t even read up on the changes that passed 2 years ago.

(I actually don’t care if you can read or not. I DO care when you make idiotic statements about things you clearly know nothing about and confuse newbies)
I know more in my little finger than you . I know exactly what was passed 2 yrs ago . As I knew you’d come in the mapd pool . 32 million on mapd and 14 mil on med sups . Your little loa and aca agents are fixing to learn the ruthlessness of both

Last edited:
I know they said a “6% cap on premium increases” but I’ve heard that it’s not exactly that. Can someone explain it to me like I’m 10 years old?

I know they said a “6% cap on premium increases” but I’ve heard that it’s not exactly that. Can someone explain it to me like I’m 10 years old?

All I know is that it's not based on the plan's actual premium. Meaning if the plan for 2024 has a premium of $10 per month, it doesn't mean they can only increase it $0.60 for 2025. Here's an article that gives some information on it.

[EXTERNAL LINK] - Part D Premiums Increasing Despite Stabilization Program | Avalere

My question though is what is to prevent a carrier from stopping a plan and rolling out a new plan with a much higher premium?

Also, I suspect we may start seeing some plans no longer waive the deductible for tiers 1 & 2. I also expect copays to increase. Maybe I will be wrong on both of those assumptions.

All I know is that it's not based on the plan's actual premium. Meaning if the plan for 2024 has a premium of $10 per month, it doesn't mean they can only increase it $0.60 for 2025. Here's an article that gives some information on it.

[EXTERNAL LINK] - Part D Premiums Increasing Despite Stabilization Program | Avalere

My question though is what is to prevent a carrier from stopping a plan and rolling out a new plan with a much higher premium?

Also, I suspect we may start seeing some plans no longer waive the deductible for tiers 1 & 2. I also expect copays to increase. Maybe I will be wrong on both of those assumptions.

They could roll out a new plan, or like mutual, could they just sit it out for year, then re-enter in the following year?

This past year there were a lot of changes to Part D and most of it was off set by Wellcare going the opposite of all the other carriers going super low premiums and tier 6 low copays makes it seem as though the changes did not change as much as it did

Now if Wellcare did not do that this AEP would have felt very different

That can easily change this coming year among other changes that are most certainly coming

No. And I’ve tried. Trying is defined as 3 conference calls with another agent, KFF and reporters to figure out a way to explain it to a normal person.

Best answer: It’s “sort of 6%” but you can’t use the calculator. The 6% rule is based on a government formula that only our government could create, using multiple factors not related to the consumer facing premium.

Latest posts

Back