P & C Education Question

Boxer3246

i have a General Lines 2-20, never wrote a policy as I am a life insurance guy. I must learn ASAP home & auto. Is there a 1 day class of some sort that teaches the primary variables that are used in quoting in the real world and /or the 10-15 primary questions asked by a client in each area. I basically need to get as competent as possible as fast as possible. I already have appointments lined up on both areas via our general agency and am meeting with the wholesalers/local reps of the different carriers.Thank you for your words of wisdom.

You can call the companies directly and reach out to your territory manager and they can give you their pros and cons about their coverages and tricks to quoting. Some companies let you go miles down to 6500 some don't accept less than 11k a year. There are different tricks for auto and home policies while quoting and that varies per company. I am also a life guy but work with many companies on in P&C!

What is your general agency out of curiosity? It's a good idea to have P&C and cross sell as a life guy!

I don't know about a one day class to teach real world insurance, but fortunately, P&C is mostly common sense. Every once in a while, you can get thrown a curve, but that usually happens more in the claims side then the selling side.

Off the top of my head, I'm sure I'll forget something:

Home:
- Credit
- Year house was built (newer is cheaper, older is more expensive)
- Size of house
- Condition of house (for acceptance)
- Protection class (and fireline in some Western states, not Florida) - Protection class is the rating for the responding fire department
- Each carriers non-acceptance criteria, such as a trampoline near a pool or a tree touching the roof of the house.

Auto
- Credit
- Type of cars - not always what you think. They track how many accidents each car gets into and how much damage it does and the cost to repair.
- Driving records of listed drivers
- Zip code
- Type of use (pleasure, commute, business)

On top of this, there are the discounts, which can be substantial. Just fill out a couple of quotes and you'll get the hang of it.

Top Questions:
There is usually only 1. "Can't you do better then that?"
Everybody wants to pay less. Be careful though, when they insist you take off coverages like roadside or rental car coverage, they will be the first to say you didn't tell them when they need those coverages.

You become much better as selling P&C after you have had a few claims under your belt. Unfortunately, that is where you really learn how coverages (and carriers) work.

Dan

Back