Passed exam, Started Job, but app was flagged....

Bluesky2018

Hi everybody,

I have a dilemma here....

As the title says, I passed my P&C Exam, started with an undisclosed company, but my license is currently being held up.

I called the DOI after about 8 business days to see what the deal was, and the very friendly person at the department told me my application was flagged due to my FBI check.

BACKSTORY: 21 years ago my friends and I were camping in another state. Somebody grabbed a megaphone from the pool area and we were playing with it. I was caught with it a short while later.

I pleaded guilty to felony theft, but the court and my lawyer said that is would be reduced to a misdemeanor after probation and work detail, then come off my record after a year or so.

Now, this record has NEVER shown up on any background check (I've worked for hospitals, etc..), didn't show up on my current employer's background check, and a lawyer whom I had research my case years ago couldn't find it in that state's database.

I thought I was good, so I obviously put that I've never been convicted of anything on my application. I'm heartbroken to see that I've been flagged, and they're reviewing my case.

Now, the question I have is this: Do I call the DOI and tell them that I may have filled my application out wrong? What is the best course to take? I don't want to waste my time, or the agency's resources training me for something that may possibly not work out. I feel terrible for the agent whom hired me. Any and all responses would be more than welcome! Thank you....

Hi everybody,

I have a dilemma here....

As the title says, I passed my P&C Exam, started with an undisclosed company, but my license is currently being held up.

I called the DOI after about 8 business days to see what the deal was, and the very friendly person at the department told me my application was flagged due to my FBI check.

BACKSTORY: 21 years ago my friends and I were camping in another state. Somebody grabbed a megaphone from the pool area and we were playing with it. I was caught with it a short while later.

I pleaded guilty to felony theft, but the court and my lawyer said that is would be reduced to a misdemeanor after probation and work detail, then come off my record after a year or so.

Now, this record has NEVER shown up on any background check (I've worked for hospitals, etc..), didn't show up on my current employer's background check, and a lawyer whom I had research my case years ago couldn't find it in that state's database.

I thought I was good, so I obviously put that I've never been convicted of anything on my application. I'm heartbroken to see that I've been flagged, and they're reviewing my case.

Now, the question I have is this: Do I call the DOI and tell them that I may have filled my application out wrong? What is the best course to take? I don't want to waste my time, or the agency's resources training me for something that may possibly not work out. I feel terrible for the agent whom hired me. Any and all responses would be more than welcome! Thank you....
How is stealing a megaphone a felony?

You did lie on the application. :fibs:

Call the DOI and explain the situation, maybe you can salvage it.

Thanks for the reply. A Class D Felony in Indiana is theft under $100k. I'll call the DOI today and tell them about my application.

Back