Pekin??

I love me some Peking Duck. Like it nice and crispy.:yes::jiggy:

You don't know how close to home you hit. This is about the town Pekin's HQ are in. I remember when this happened.

December 05, 1994|By ROGER SIMON

In July 1974, I went to the small town of Pekin, Ill., with a group of Chinese-Americans from Chicago who were offended by the name of Pekin's high school football team.

Pekin, named for the Chinese city of Peking, called its team the "Chinks."
The students at Pekin High told the visitors that they loved their Chinks and that to them it was a name of honor and respect and no harm was intended.

The Chinese-Americans argued that regardless of how it was intended, the name was degrading and racist and should be changed.

Afterward, the students took a vote and Chinks won, 1,034 to 182. Later, another vote was taken and Chinks won again.

Finally, in 1980, as times changed and sensitivities grew, the school board changed the name of the team to the "Dragons."

But some alumni were outraged and formed a group to change the name back. Pat Hagen, a Pekin High graduate, invoked the name of the town's most famous native son, Senate Minority Leader Everett McKinley Dirksen. "He was born a Chink," Hagen said, "he died a Chink; he's known around the world as a Chink."

The school board stuck to its decision, but for years afterward at high school reunions graduates passed out mementos that said "Chinks Forever."

You don't know how close to home you hit. This is about the town Pekin's HQ are in. I remember when this happened.

December 05, 1994|By ROGER SIMON

In July 1974, I went to the small town of Pekin, Ill., with a group of Chinese-Americans from Chicago who were offended by the name of Pekin's high school football team.

Pekin, named for the Chinese city of Peking, called its team the "Chinks."
The students at Pekin High told the visitors that they loved their Chinks and that to them it was a name of honor and respect and no harm was intended.

The Chinese-Americans argued that regardless of how it was intended, the name was degrading and racist and should be changed.

Afterward, the students took a vote and Chinks won, 1,034 to 182. Later, another vote was taken and Chinks won again.

Finally, in 1980, as times changed and sensitivities grew, the school board changed the name of the team to the "Dragons."

But some alumni were outraged and formed a group to change the name back. Pat Hagen, a Pekin High graduate, invoked the name of the town's most famous native son, Senate Minority Leader Everett McKinley Dirksen. "He was born a Chink," Hagen said, "he died a Chink; he's known around the world as a Chink."

The school board stuck to its decision, but for years afterward at high school reunions graduates passed out mementos that said "Chinks Forever."

Great story!:laugh::cool:

----------

I wanted to add in my reply to Howdy Doody. A famous cheesesteak place here in Philly used to be called "Chink's". The original owner was born with sort of slanty eyes so everyone called him "Chink" since he was little. But the new owners wanted to branch out and recently decided a more PC "Joe's" was in order. Some didn't like the change as the owners did bow to pressure.

p.s.- I still have my Chink's t-shirt. I wore it to a Chinese buffet not realizing.:laugh: It was a little awkward.:err:

Great story!:laugh::cool:

----------

I wanted to add in my reply to Howdy Doody. A famous cheesesteak place here in Philly used to be called "Chink's". The original owner was born with sort of slanty eyes so everyone called him "Chink" since he was little. But the new owners wanted to branch out and recently decided a more PC "Joe's" was in order. Some didn't like the change as the owners did bow to pressure.

p.s.- I still have my Chink's t-shirt. I wore it to a Chinese buffet not realizing.:laugh: It was a little awkward.:err:

I had bought my Dust Bowl Arkie ex-mother in law the Oh Brother Where Art Thou DVD thinking she would like it and the soundtrack. She was highly offended thinking I was making fun of her and her roots. I loved that woman and would never purposely offended her. We just thought those characters were funny. Eye of the beholder.

Bud%20Fields%20family%20Alabama%201935%2036.jpg

I had bought my Dust Bowl Arkie ex-mother in law the Oh Brother Where Art Thou DVD thinking she would like it and the soundtrack. She was highly offended thinking I was making fun of her and her roots. I loved that woman and would never purposely offended her. We just thought those characters were funny. Eye of the beholder.

Bummer. Ma missed out on an excellent, underrated movie. Funny as hell with a great soundtrack.:yes:

Makes me think of The Grapes Of Wrath. Another great movie. I love Oh Brother Where Art Thou.

Makes me think of The Grapes Of Wrath. Another great movie. I love Oh Brother Where Art Thou.

That is the time when her family would have come to California. The woman could cook a full meal from some bacon grease, flour and bits and pieces. I learned I liked Rhubarb pie, Fried Okra was OK but not boiled, and frog legs taste better than chicken. :yes:

oh,oh and shine will make you fall in the river.... a lot.

Back