Pekin's homeowners coverage

All I am saying is Progressive the insurance carrier does not issue home policies nor stand behind them as the carrier for claims. They are merely an independent commissioned sales entity in the lane of Homeowners. But their TV ads don't give that impression
So does geico, but the general public doesn't know or care.

That is the legit website for Kemper, the link has been fixed, it now takes you to a page where you can leave info for them to get back to you.

Somebody at Kemper needs to redesign that online quote software. I get $1272 for 25/50/15 on three vehicles with no comp/collision on any. There's no way to edit coverages to match my current insurance. I guess I'll wait until February renewal to make the rounds again.

I'm not familiar with Pekin but I don't think that I need to since these are the same strategies practiced by companies that are aggressively trying to grow their market share.

I remember about 13 - 14 years ago, Farm Bureau was just kicking everybody's rear-end in homeowners policies and you hoped that the word about their rates wouldn't get around too much. Well, once we had some good old-fashioned hail storms come through more populated areas with more intensity for about 2-3 years, the party at Farm Bureau WAS OVER. FB was in such financial straits, they were non-renewing lots & lots of customers while at the same time substantially raising their rates. To this day, they are not much of a competitive threat.

Pekin will have to raise their rates at some point, they aren't any smarter or have better insight when it comes to rate determination than the big companies.

But you can be sure at some point in time, there will be another carrier that will try to do the same thing.

As agents, we understand that "rate adjustments" happen, but we really wish that the increases would be tempered and not have such big swings that generally cause our customers to start shopping around and go somewhere else.

If you're able to identify a few insurers that don't have such large rate increases over the years and oftentimes aren't the lowest or the highest, then maybe you might want to consider quoting them and "sell them" to potential customers about their positive benefits.

Not true, ASI was acquired by Progressive some time ago. Progressive no longer brokers home & renters insurance as a result.

Do you have a link to that? As of today, the Progressive website still clearly states they represent about 10+ property carriers as an agency. Their TV ads still state this in the fine print

Progressive Home Program Companies

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211228-222750~2.png
    Screenshot_20211228-222750~2.png
    111.2 KB · Views: 0
They do both. They broker other carriers' policies, and issue their own policies. Generally they broker other carriers' policies for "direct" auto customers (using earned commissions to break-even on their brokerage overhead), and they allow independent agents to sell the ASI product (now renamed Progressive Homeowners). Certain IA's are "Premier" agents which gives these agents access to the Premier Endorsement which brings the base policy's coverage up to industry parity.

They do both. They broker other carriers' policies, and issue their own policies. Generally they broker other carriers' policies for "direct" auto customers (using earned commissions to break-even on their brokerage overhead), and they allow independent agents to sell the ASI product (now renamed Progressive Homeowners). Certain IA's are "Premier" agents which gives these agents access to the Premier Endorsement which brings the base policy's coverage up to industry parity.

but doesnt ASI still issue & underwrite the policies out of Florida? Progressive owns ASI now, but I didnt think Progressive had begun underwriting their own home insurance products

They have about five HO writing companies in FL, some that have "Progressive" in them and others with "American Strategic" in them. Since PGR acquired total ownership of ASI in 2020, PGR has been calling the shots irrespective of writing company name. In PGRs last earnings call, they said that selective NRs would start in FL (didn't say which writing co's) to reduce exposure, and at same time they intend to increase exposure in nonvolatile states by appointing more Premier agents. All of this is public information.

Back