Polybutylene Plumbing and Home Non Renewal/repair

AZ n 1822 are right...they won't replace those pipes (not if they can get a captive to write it----why would they?)

Like Dave said, tell um no renewal.

QUESTION: Does Dave have any liability by telling them to go to State Farm (and why) or...should he just keep his mouth shut?

I can't speak for other states, but I know that most of my carriers have 'No polybutylene plumbing' in their u/w guidelines but do not necessarily ask the question during the application. That said, personally, because of that I would not place the business with them. In my opinion, the potential E & O claim is not worth it, especially since you had knowledge of the plumbing. The polybutylene is not allowed for a reason.

I have had this come up in years past and the only coverage I could find that would knowingly accept the polybutylene was an HO8 and luckily, the carrier had the option of buying back the RC.

I also had another recently where a tiny bit was found during the initial inspection. The carrier allowed them to replace and stayed on the policy. The insured was not thrilled to have to do it but I explained that all carriers would decline coverage with this plumbing.

Just my .02.

Back