Potential issue with drivers license

I don't know if this is just me..I have a prospect that lived in Ohio and then moved to Colorado. He asked me about house, cars and boat..when I ran the reports...it came back that he has had about 5 or so violations .which got me to thinking..how on earth is he still insured?? Then I got to thinking..I ran his Ohio license..he currently has a Colorado license now. So my question is ..doesn't that stuff transfer over? Shouldn't his current carrier drop him? The my last question is...if he were to get into an accident right now...and the insurance carrier started to investigate.....they wouldn't pay the claims would they?

5 violations in what time frame? Ultimately the violations could catch up on a renewal if there is a reason to pull an MVR. What was disclosed on the application?

I don't know if this is just me..I have a prospect that lived in Ohio and then moved to Colorado. He asked me about house, cars and boat..when I ran the reports...it came back that he has had about 5 or so violations .which got me to thinking..how on earth is he still insured?? Then I got to thinking..I ran his Ohio license..he currently has a Colorado license now. So my question is ..doesn't that stuff transfer over? Shouldn't his current carrier drop him? The my last question is...if he were to get into an accident right now...and the insurance carrier started to investigate.....they wouldn't pay the claims would they?

So, he is living in Colorado permanently now, but is still running on his Ohio insurance? Or did he just change address with Liberty to Colorado. If so, he is likely best to stay with Liberty until they find the violations. They may not run MVRs that often & may have some longevity forgiveness programs

Happens all the time that you might have a better product or rate, but you always know the full info when writing new business that the existing carrier may not know yet or ever unless there are claims filed or MVR run

Last edited:
nope..he didn't change carriers..I was trying to get him to change..until it came back he had all these violations....so he chose to stay put. The carriers I tried to get him with instantly declined him

If Liberty has not run an MVR, and they have no reason to unless there is a major violation (DUI, Vehicular homicide), he should stay with his carrier and you should leave him alone. 5 violation would not be a reason to be dropped, just excessive points that Colorado will whittle down over the next few years. No other carrier will pick him up without a huge increase in premium

Back