*Potential* New Agent Introduction

JTylerH

Good morning/afternoon/evening!

I am potentially new to the insurance business, and came across this wonderful forum during my digital expedition to study and research, everything insurance and sales related. It has been truly enlightening, and overwhelming at times, but a treat all the same. I passed both my A&H and Life exams recently, and now I am chomping at the bit to get even more immersed in this world, as I am already fascinated by it on so many levels!

Long story short, I am coming from the engineering and project management arena and was recruited by NYL. I've read some great things and not so great things about the benefits and stumbling blocks of being captive versus independent. So, I just wanted to say thank you for providing all of this information for free, to anyone willing to put in the work and effort to study and learn from others' mistakes and successes. I am coming to a point where I have to drink the kool-aid (hopefully not Jim Jones' flavored), or remain in my safe cozy little bubble of a career. It is both daunting and exhilarating... Thank you again for the free help and I plan to remain engaged in this forum and community for the foreseeable future!

Welcome!

There is also the forum's Facebook group that you can join and ask questions at too.

[EXTERNAL LINK] - Professional Life Agent Insurance Discussions | Facebook

I also have an Advanced Whole Life discussion group on Facebook:

[EXTERNAL LINK] - Advanced Whole Life Insurance Agent Discussions | Facebook

Having an engineering and project management background will help you to dive deeper into product mechanics and how they work... and project management will help you to define the critical path for working with your prospects and turning them into clients, managing processes, as well as expectations.

You won't find any copies (at a reasonable price) but Frank Sullivan, CLU and a past president of the Million Dollar Round Table association, wrote a book called The Critical Path. I haven't read it, but I know it aligns with project management.

Amazon product ASIN B000FCI988
Where you may have issues... is communicating with prospects a WHY and tapping into the possibilities, rather than the product or contract mechanics. People don't buy what you sell, but people will buy why you do what you do. And being able to have that engineering mentality will help you with the details, but it's no guarantee that you'll convert prospects to clients.

Just thought I'd share.

Welcome!

What about your career experience makes you think you'd do well in sales?

Thats a great question and got my gears turning this morning...

I naturally enjoy problem solving and while I am accustomed to focusing on objects that dont talk back, I have found that I really enjoy helping people solve problems as well!

Welcome!

There is also the forum's Facebook group that you can join and ask questions at too.

[EXTERNAL LINK] - Professional Life Agent Insurance Discussions | Facebook

I also have an Advanced Whole Life discussion group on Facebook:

[EXTERNAL LINK] - Advanced Whole Life Insurance Agent Discussions | Facebook

Thank you so much for sending this info my way... I will certainly join the facebook group. Its been on my list of things to do after reading through a lot of these threads last week!

Having an engineering and project management background will help you to dive deeper into product mechanics and how they work... and project management will help you to define the critical path for working with your prospects and turning them into clients, managing processes, as well as expectations.

Yes! These are some of the same thoughts I had when looking at whether I can do this or not... it wont be easy obviously and I know it will require lots of hard work but I am very accustomed to hard work and do not shy away from it.

You won't find any copies (at a reasonable price) but Frank Sullivan, CLU and a past president of the Million Dollar Round Table association, wrote a book called The Critical Path. I haven't read it, but I know it aligns with project management.

Amazon product ASIN B000FCI988
Where you may have issues... is communicating with prospects a WHY and tapping into the possibilities, rather than the product or contract mechanics. People don't buy what you sell, but people will buy why you do what you do. And being able to have that engineering mentality will help you with the details, but it's no guarantee that you'll convert prospects to clients.

Just thought I'd share.

All good suggestions! And thank you for sharing this book with me...I will certainly check it out. I also understand the importance of not only conveying the mechanics of the products but also the emotional side of things and why they would need to purchase them. In addition, why they would purchase from ME specifically. Up to this point so far, I have quickly become a firm believer in these products and see the huge value they can provide.... if applied properly. I am about as green as it can get, so I understand it will take me awhile to get to that point, but I am extremely motivated and welcome the challenge.

Reactions: DHK
One more resource I'll share with you. My blog.

With a lot of the misconceptions out there, I wrote my blog to be a definitive resource to separate fact from fiction without being too specific on companies and contracts. For all the myths out there, I wanted my voice to be out there as a sound voice to bring the proper understanding for everything.

https://www.davidkinderfinancial.com/blog

You'll get a lot out of my myths and FAQs articles.

Now, I've been told that it's one of the best blogs in the industry. That didn't come from just any old agent. That came from a Distinguished Emeritus Professor of Law from Oxford with a focus in life insurance and wrote the book on Survivorship Life Insurance published by the American Bar Association (they don't just publish anybody). When I met him for the first time at a local NAIFA event last April, my reputation preceded me and he began to introduce me to other agents saying "Have you read his blog? It's one of the best blogs in the insurance industry."

So, take that for what it's worth. ;)

In addition, why they would purchase from ME specifically.

Very quickly, here's the reason: Because if you're leading with the problems you solve, then it's implied that you will be the source of the solution.

Now, if you're working with "insurance shoppers"... that's a different scenario. In that, you're a product peddler. That's not the best positioning to have.

Lead with problems you solve... and bring the solution with you as well. That's how you earn the right to their business.

Now, if you're working with "insurance shoppers"... that's a different scenario. In that, you're a product peddler. That's not the best positioning to have.
There are different ways to be successful in this business.

I don't want to talk to people who aren't actively looking to buy insurance. I want them to already know that they have a problem.

That type of sale requires quick responses, a strong product knowledge base, and the ability to ask key questions to find the right kinds of coverage for the prospect.

Marketing plays a large role in this type of agency as well.

There are different ways to be successful in this business.

I don't want to talk to people who aren't actively looking to buy insurance. I want them to already know that they have a problem.

That type of sale requires quick responses, a strong product knowledge base, and the ability to ask key questions to find the right kinds of coverage for the prospect.

Marketing plays a large role in this type of agency as well.

1,000% agree. That's where you do far better than most because you have a specialized niche and people reach out to you because of it.

Back