Pre-approach Letter for FE?

Before going indy a year ago, I worked at an agency that didn't like spending too much on lead costs for the agents. So, they sent out the pre-approach letters and we worked them every week. They'd send out on average 40-50 per week in the area we were working.
Our script was:

Hi, I'm Nathan with ______ agency. Are you Mr./Mrs. Prospect?
Mr./Mrs. Prospect you recently received this letter and I am Nathan (point to where it mentions your name in letter). If you're not too busy I'd like 5 minutes of your time to fill out the questionaire mentioned in your letter. May I come in (take slight step as if to walk in even before a response is given)?

We went to more rural areas where people were a bit friendlier. On good days I'd get into about 50% of the homes when they answered the door. Even on bad days when I might be nervous or tired I'd get in to roughly 30% of the homes when they were home.

Before going indy a year ago, I worked at an agency that didn't like spending too much on lead costs for the agents. So, they sent out the pre-approach letters and we worked them every week. They'd send out on average 40-50 per week in the area we were working.
Our script was:

Mr./Mrs. Prospect you recently received this letter and I am Nathan (point to where it mentions your name in letter). If you're not too busy I'd like 5 minutes of your time to fill out the questionaire mentioned in your letter. May I come in (take slight step as if to walk in even before a response is given)?

We went to more rural areas where people were a bit friendlier. On good days I'd get into about 50% of the homes when they answered the door. Even on bad days when I might be nervous or tired I'd get in to roughly 30% of the homes when they were home.

honestly, that is not bad results. 50 letters....you got into 25 homes. I am sure the cost of mailing those 50 letters were a lot cheaper than the cost of 25 leads! However, nothing works everywhere with everyone all the time.

Our script was:

You are a brave dude!

honestly, that is not bad results. 50 letters....you got into 25 homes. I am sure the cost of mailing those 50 letters were a lot cheaper than the cost of 25 leads! However, nothing works everywhere with everyone all the time.

30-50% of the people that were accually home or answered the door. Probably got into 15-20 homes per week. But yeah, a heck of a lot cheaper than paying $25+ per appointment. I've thought of doing that again for myself, but I am pretty happy with cold calling for now and it's just as cheap.

Awesome post, tin.

I've been inspired. I'll be sending out some pre-approach letters next week.

Also, I agree with showing motion in order to get into a house. A favorite of mine is to say (not ask), "do you have a place we can sit down," point inside the house while wiping my feet.

Like Brian Fantana says, "50 percent of the time it works every time.":twitchy:

@xrac - often correct
@MisterRandyWatson - the best - quality SEO article over 500 words on Article directory that gets top 10 ranking on Google, etc.
Mixed results for up to 5 years with 1 article, lot of bang for the buck (I'm not for hire)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Our script was:

@rural = 30%
@letter = ???%
@confidence = 20%
@product knowledge = 10%
@timing = 10%
@client/prospect confidence in you = up to 40%, long-term... priceless

Last edited:
While you are preparing your letter, mailing it and waiting 3 days for the prospect to receive it, another agent has already made an appointment on the phone. Prospect will be seen the same day or the next day after phone call is made.

Sale is made, first payment received before letter arrives.

While you are preparing your letter, mailing it and waiting 3 days for the prospect to receive it, another agent has already made an appointment on the phone. Prospect will be seen the same day or the next day after phone call is made.

Sale is made, first payment received before letter arrives.

You must not sell much FE?

I use pre-approach letters just to "warm up" my follow up call. Gives me a little more of a reason to call.
Over the years I've gotten on some kicks by sending out 100 letters a week. Not a good thing. You can't follow up on all of that.
So, now, I just send maybe 10 out a week if that much. Doesn't break my budget and I usually get in front of 2-5 people.
Referrals are my best steady source of leads now. But it doesn 't hurt to mix up your prospecting with a few letters.

@xrac - often correct
@MisterRandyWatson - the best - quality SEO article over 500 words on Article directory that gets top 10 ranking on Google, etc.
Mixed results for up to 5 years with 1 article, lot of bang for the buck (I'm not for hire)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

@rural = 30%
@letter = ???%
@confidence = 20%
@product knowledge = 10%
@timing = 10%
@client/prospect confidence in you = up to 40%, long-term... priceless

If this is the quality of your writing, I hope you pay the people who engage your services.

Latest posts

Back