Pre-Existing Condition Clause

I wrote a client with UHC during his open enrollment period. He had already been diagnosed with cancer and started his radiation and chemo treatments the same month his policy went into effect. UHC paid all of his claims with no waiting period.

That's good! Maybe it's state specific. My state's DOI shows UHC having a 3 month waiting period for pre-existing conditions, while most of the other companies have none.

----------

You realize that the Y in yes should be capitalized and a comma after it, right?

Yes, that's increditable.:yes:

Reviving old thread, in part because of a situation where I am trying to get an answer from a carrier.

As I understand (based on this and other p-x threads) these carriers treat p-x as such.

Aetna - Waives p-x during OE and with prior creditable coverage. However, if applying without prior creditible coverage within days of effective date p-x applies .... even during OE.

UHC - Always has a 3 month wait for p-x, even with creditable coverage.

New Era - Waives p-x for applicants if applying during OE regardless of prior coverage.

If any of you have information that contradicts what I posted above, feel free to annotate.

That leaves a bunch of carriers that either do not apply p-x or have a p-x that can be waived in certain situations.

How do the following treat p-x?

MOO (and their downstream carriers), Blue Cross (yes, I realize this may be a state by state thing but asking any way), CSI/CSI Life, Medico, Equitable, Bankers Fidelity ......

Reviving old thread, in part because of a situation where I am trying to get an answer from a carrier.

As I understand (based on this and other p-x threads) these carriers treat p-x as such.

Aetna - Waives p-x during OE and with prior creditable coverage. However, if applying without prior creditible coverage within days of effective date p-x applies .... even during OE.

UHC - Always has a 3 month wait for p-x, even with creditable coverage.

New Era - Waives p-x for applicants if applying during OE regardless of prior coverage.

If any of you have information that contradicts what I posted above, feel free to annotate.

That leaves a bunch of carriers that either do not apply p-x or have a p-x that can be waived in certain situations.

How do the following treat p-x?

MOO (and their downstream carriers), Blue Cross (yes, I realize this may be a state by state thing but asking any way), CSI/CSI Life, Medico, Equitable, Bankers Fidelity ......

I used to write a lot of UHC when I did a lot of NY, FL & CA buis, They do not have waiting period for preex when there is prior creditable cov, In fact there was one I had that had an issue with preex, because his creditable cov was VA, We had to get a letter from VA, Took some work but UHC went back and paid all the bills,

I believe I read somewhere that Ins carriers Must count creditable cov towards pre ex waiting periods,

Also I think Medico does not have waiting periods even without creditable cov

I have never had heard from any client with any carrier having preex waiting period in OE enrollment

Heard back from Bankers Fidelity.

Our Medicare supplement policies do not have a Pre-ex clause so pre-existing conditions aren’t excluded. As long as all medical history is disclosed on the application as covered by our questions and the client qualifies medically based on our underwriting, then all conditions will be covered.

Waiting on clarification from New Era. I believe they can impose p-x on a state basis. In GA I remember having one person who applied during OE without prior coverage and they slapped a 6 month wait for Part B expenses only.

Back