Prescription Coverage- Primary/Secondary

wehotex

Guru
1000 Post Club
Houston, Tex
I got a hold of a member’s wife recently who is cancelling his MA only premium giveback policy (Veteran) to enroll into a regular MAPD for June 1. Reason given is so that the mb can get rx coverage through the MAPD.
The rx in question is an EXPENSIVE OPIOID (Nucynta) that is not on anyone’s Formulary, ie, most likely a Tier 5 formulary exception that would need some work on the part of his Doctor’s office.
What I then found out was that she ADDED her husband on to her Federal BXBS policy for ~$200/mo, which is actually covering the rx for $50/mo through October! She never cancelled the Humana MA only policy when the husband was added until now (May 31).
I told her that she would be better off with A/B ONLY as primary with the retiree coverage as secondary (since we know that the rx is already covered thru October).
What is the saying about “leading the horse to water?”
If they proceed to the new MAPD on June 1, would BXBS look to the MAPD to pay for this expensive Rx since Rx coverage is now part of the benefit?
If Humana MAPD refuses, would BXBS ALSO refuse to cover it because they are expecting Humana to cover it?
I don’t think that it was an issue before since the previous Humana MA didn’t offer rx coverage in the first place (and neither did VA), making the BXBS a primary.
I suppose that I will find out sometime this month.

according to Mrs, VA won’t cover it- cost is almost $14k/year!

I guess I just don't understand that. I go to the VA for all my medical. I would be generally surprised if they wouldn't give it to me if I needed it. Never heard any of my friends say anything like that either. I'll have to check on that for sure.

Of course, the VA does ask you each and every time if you have insurance on the outside. If he is saying he does, then that might make a difference. Not sure.

I guess I just don't understand that. I go to the VA for all my medical. I would be generally surprised if they wouldn't give it to me if I needed it. Never heard any of my friends say anything like that either. I'll have to check on that for sure.

Of course, the VA does ask you each and every time if you have insurance on the outside. If he is saying he does, then that might make a difference. Not sure.

In that case, the answer would have been YES since he has the Federal BXBS through wife’s retirement.

I dont know I got lots of clients with VA and MAPD they use MAPD for generics for free

And then use VA for all higher tiers as its less money VA

I dont know I got lots of clients with VA and MAPD they use MAPD for generics for free

And then use VA for all higher tiers as its less money VA

Exactly! So where is the breakdown in this situation? I think he should go and get clarification from the VA as to why they won't cover it.

Interesting question, one I wouldn't have the answer to, but sure would like to hear the answer when it comes available. :)

I got a hold of a member’s wife recently who is cancelling his MA only premium giveback policy (Veteran) to enroll into a regular MAPD for June 1. Reason given is so that the mb can get rx coverage through the MAPD.
The rx in question is an EXPENSIVE OPIOID (Nucynta) that is not on anyone’s Formulary, ie, most likely a Tier 5 formulary exception that would need some work on the part of his Doctor’s office.
What I then found out was that she ADDED her husband on to her Federal BXBS policy for ~$200/mo, which is actually covering the rx for $50/mo through October! She never cancelled the Humana MA only policy when the husband was added until now (May 31).
I told her that she would be better off with A/B ONLY as primary with the retiree coverage as secondary (since we know that the rx is already covered thru October).
If they proceed to the new MAPD on June 1, would BXBS look to the MAPD to pay for this expensive Rx since Rx coverage is now part of the benefit?
If Humana MAPD refuses, would BXBS ALSO refuse to cover it because they are expecting Humana to cover it?
I don’t think that it was an issue before since the previous Humana MA didn’t offer rx coverage in the first place (and neither did VA), making the BXBS a primary.

MAPD would be primary for both medical and rx.

Mapd would become primary including the rx part to I believe.If they have fed bcbs and medicare there is no reason to have an MA plan in this case because they would have no medical copays and eligible for 800.00 back to pay for part B.Based on what you said about copays looks like they have the basic plan.They would have a SEP for new EHGP to get off Humana

https://www.fepblue.org/our-plans/M...ures/2022/508-2_SBPMEDSUM2022-interactive.pdf

MAPD would be primary for both medical and rx.

Mapd would become primary including the rx part to I believe.If they have fed bcbs and medicare there is no reason to have an MA plan in this case because they would have no medical copays and eligible for 800.00 back to pay for part B.Based on what you said about copays looks like they have the basic plan.They would have a SEP for new EHGP to get off Humana

https://www.fepblue.org/our-plans/M...ures/2022/508-2_SBPMEDSUM2022-interactive.pdf

You are correct. The only reason why I knew that was because I had an in-home about 2 weeks ago with an FEHP retiree who had the choice between BASIC and the other BXBS choice that she was on.
I explained that to this woman, but she wouldn’t listen. She may find out the hard way?

Back