Prospects Lie to Us Every Day...

I think I'll probably still try to work with those who, like Newby noted, are just trying to avoid the conversation. I think that there may still be room to work with that client to earn their trust so that they can open up about the life insurance.

But, I'll probably have a cutoff or a threshold in mind. I gave two examples for a reason: I felt like they were both lying to me, but in different ways. For instance, with the 70 year old guy, he reached the threshold in my mind. I already put him with the other prospects whom I'll never call again.

The lady who had a "medical emergency" yesterday when I tried to call her again...I'll probably call once more. After one more call I should be able to tell if it's worth the time to try to sell her a policy. It is possible that she was just buying time, but she is close to the threshold.

So, my conclusion from reading all the feedback is that it should be on a case by case basis. For some lying prospects, we should MOVE ON. Other lying prospects, maybe just one more call after some time passes... it won't kill us.

Thanks to all for your thoughts!

Last edited:
Buyers may be liars, but salespeople are suckers for letting them do it.

Buyers have been "allowed" to do this for a long time... with no remorse or regret. They've been trained to "hold all the cards" and stay in control of the conversation while they "dangle a carrot" in front of the salesperson to get what they think they want.

I refuse to get into that game and will never relinquish my power to a prospect. Someone thinks they can negotiate on price? HA! Try peeing cleaner next time!

You've got to break the cycle with the prospect and get them to work with you on YOUR terms, not theirs.

Amazon.com: You Can't Teach a Kid to Ride a Bike at a Seminar : The Sandler Sales Institute's 7-Step System for Successful Selling (9780967179902): David H. Sandler, John Hayes, PhD., David H. Sandler: Books

When I was younger I sold door to door for a milk delivery company. On my second day I came to a lady who greeted me very nicely, I told her about our service, and she seemed interested. When I asked for the order she mentioned she had to run to the vet. Wanting to clarify the situation, I straight-up, and naively said, "I can come back to your door later this evening. Are you genuinely interested?"

"Oh, yes, I am!"

"Ok ma'am, I'll come back around 6:30. I wish your cat the best!"

I came back at 6:30 and she answered the door. She had this guilty look on her face and spoke softly, "You know, I think I should just be honest with you. Actually, I'm really not interested, and I should just tell you that."

:D

Buyers may be liars, but salespeople are suckers for letting them do it.

Buyers have been "allowed" to do this for a long time... with no remorse or regret. They've been trained to "hold all the cards" and stay in control of the conversation while they "dangle a carrot" in front of the salesperson to get what they think they want.

I refuse to get into that game and will never relinquish my power to a prospect. Someone thinks they can negotiate on price? HA! Try peeing cleaner next time!

You've got to break the cycle with the prospect and get them to work with you on YOUR terms, not theirs.

Amazon.com: You Can't Teach a Kid to Ride a Bike at a Seminar : The Sandler Sales Institute's 7-Step System for Successful Selling (9780967179902): David H. Sandler, John Hayes, PhD., David H. Sandler: Books

Oh Sandler...are you part of the sales institute?

Back