Question About Homeowners Insurance

at this point we are assuming there is commercial use of the colo center/fiberoptics. What is a colo center? If this is just a "smart home" and wired with fiberoptics for a home network technology integration, the personal HO form should cover it and Functional Replacement Cost on the Coverage C Personal Property keeps the replacement of the obsolete technology to a manageable expense for all parties. And of course, if the colo center/fiberoptics is for business use the homeowner should always assume no coverage on personal policy.

Plenty of nerdy homeowners now run servers to manage their house (temperature, lighting, alarms, syncing dvrs, accessing personal movie library). I haven't heard of many carriers addressing this in their coverage extensions or seen the impact on valuation. Anybody?

at this point we are assuming there is commercial use of the colo center/fiberoptics. What is a colo center? If this is just a "smart home" and wired with fiberoptics for a home network technology integration, the personal HO form should cover it and Functional Replacement Cost on the Coverage C Personal Property keeps the replacement of the obsolete technology to a manageable expense for all parties. And of course, if the colo center/fiberoptics is for business use the homeowner should always assume no coverage on personal policy.

Plenty of nerdy homeowners now run servers to manage their house (temperature, lighting, alarms, syncing dvrs, accessing personal movie library). I haven't heard of many carriers addressing this in their coverage extensions or seen the impact on valuation. Anybody?

A colo center is something very different. We're not talking about a server, we're talking about a full blown colo site if we're talking this kind of coin. Google "colocation site" and it'll give you a better idea of what we're talking about here.

Actually, the nerdy stuff is covered in a typical HO policy, usually as a sublimit to personal property, usually capping at around $5K unless you modify it.

Somebody who has a colo site in their home is talking $100's of thousands of dollars of stuff, potentially. The term colo site isn't something you'll see in a home policy ANYWHERE. Its a commercial thing by the nature of what it is.

Dan

Ok, Simple question, why havent you called an U/W to get the correct answer?

A colo center is something very different. We're not talking about a server, we're talking about a full blown colo site if we're talking this kind of coin. Google "colocation site" and it'll give you a better idea of what we're talking about here.
DANNNNG. I had no idea. I learned something new and feel so naive it never occured to me people do this out of a home. So is it common for colo centers to use a home as a front?

DANNNNG. I had no idea. I learned something new and feel so naive it never occured to me people do this out of a home. So is it common for colo centers to use a home as a front?

Very uncommon. I have a server rack in my home and I'm in the minority. I have about am hour of battery backup and that's enough for my dialer needs, but can't imagine someone wanting to do much more than that from home, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

Back